1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Umm, Help, Please.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PatC, Jun 12, 2008.

1. PatC

So, I live in an extremely homophobic place, my parents rant on and on about how dumb gay people are, and how hitler was smart killing them, yada, yada, yada.
    I have had enough of it, cause it really hurts to hear them going on and on about it, I honest to god cry myself to sleep and cut myself, which is just wrong. Anyway, more to the poin, I am now grounded until the first day of school(just got out today) because I refused to sign a petition that the created to fight against gay-rights. I've had enough, If I wasn't interrupted earlier, I would have killed myself, cause I have nowhere to go but down. Worse still, compared to the rest of my family, they are very tame, cause my cousins honest to god go out looking for gay people to beat up. It just makes me cry, I can't stand it, o how do I ignore it, cause I think I'm a tad young to kill myself:frowning2:, so please, help.:help::help::help::help:

2. Chris

First of all DO NOT KILL YOURSELF!!! Second of all STOP CUTTING YOURSELF!!!I know wat you're going through! except under different circumstances. I myself have almost killed myself before, why, well because people are vicious about how much you weigh. But enough about me this sounds pretty bad, but it could be worse!!! Just take a deep breath! Think of something positive!!! Like a pet, or just something that makes YOU happy! Now, i may not have been at EC to really give you the best advice but this is what i've gathered from the forum. First ask them what they have against gays. Now, remember use your own judjment if you think i'm wrong!!! But anyway, ask them then ask them what they would do if they saw a gay person. then ascess what you've learned, and it may actually be best if you came out, because from what i've gathered it may help if you come out to them. But remomber keep your chin up high!!! And if you think it will just make it worse, alot worse then DON'T come out, but then again they may just accept you for who YOU are and they may juat adjust and learn to accept gays and not be homophobic!!! But remember if you really think it best to leave it alone then DO!!! But if you don't come out then make sure you don't give them clues. So, that is really all i can say for now, and remember keep happy thoughts in your mind and find a way to live through it 'cause it WILL maake you a stronger person!!! Well, good luck!!!:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3. PatC

Well, I know why, they are bible banging freaks. The reason they used to ground me; You are Supporting the Devil.
    Oy Vey, how dumb can it get? I hate it all so much:frowning2:.

4. FreddyMercury

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to get professional help. The fact that you are 15 and even considering committing suicide is frightening. I did a research paper on gay teen suicide and it is so sad the statistics. DO NOT BECOME ONE OF THOSE STATISTICS! theres a saying "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem"... this may seem so difficult right now, but you will get through it.. and yes, eventually you will run into another problem, but that is life. Seriously you need to find a support group or therapist. something to be a positive outlet for you. EC will help you but you need actual people you know and trust for this. Please Please Please do not do anything drastic.

~Trey

5. Chris

I think trey's right!!!:thumbsup: and i think it's stupid they say your supporting the devil!!!!:tantrum: just keep your chin up!!!:thumbsup:(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Listen to me Pat. Your parents are WRONG. There is nothing wrong with being gay. It is simply a variant on natural human sexuality. Your life is worth living. You CAN survive this and grow up and be stronger for it. Right now I want you to commit to living. That means stop cutting yourself right now. Stop thinking about suicide. You need to build a support system around you of people who care. People who love you for who you are. We care Pat! I'm sure you have teachers at your school who care. I'm sure you have friends who care. What about a counselor at school? Can you talk to him or her about this? Pat there is a website that I want you to look at. Go there now and have a look.

http://www.donteraseyourqueerfuture.org/

I want you to call the number if you feel like cutting or feel suicidal. 1-866-4-u-TREVOR

(*hug*)

7. Chris

hey i just looked at this thread and it gave a website thats upposed to help with highly religious families
    familyacceptance.com

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's a great website! I've exchanged e-mails with the mother from that website.

9. Chris

thanks I just saw it 3 mins ago!!!

10. PatC

Ok, I know they are wrong, its just so much negativity, I can't stand it. I'm not out to change them, just, well, to be blunt; push them away and get them to shut up. I think it would be a losing battle to try and change them, so I'm not gonna try.

11. cityboy340

Originally: OC, California Now: Baltimore/DC
    Do you have any support like people you could talk to? That may help, maybe even just emailing people, EC is great for support but sometimes it just takes a real person to lean on. I was outed to my parents who are currently hooking me up with some bitchy girl and I amd called, yes the devil too but whatever you do, DO NOT KILL YOURSELF. I have heard stories of people who have attempted and failed and realized that it was a big mistake. Do you live in such a conservative place? Try and find a support group you could go to.

12. PatC

I can't go to a support group, I'm not aloud out of my fricken house.:bang:

13. James

Wow, you're in a really tough situation dude. And don't cut yourself or think about suicide, I used to be just like you with the whole "I wish I was dead" - that was until I figured out all my problems in life and smartened up. You don't have a friends house you could possibly stay at once school starts up again? I'd hate to see you go through anymore pain from them, if you need someone to talk to anytime feel free to PM me (sorry I'm not much of help). (*hug*)

14. cityboy340

Originally: OC, California Now: Baltimore/DC
    I think you should talk to your parents and try and reason with them cuz what they are doing sounds pretty unreasonable, its worth a try, just don't be mean to them or yell, try and approach them nicely, hopefully then you'd be allowed out of the house, then maybe a support group? Sorry i'm not much of a help, if my parents are grounding me, I just sneak out and stay at a friends house, but thats probably not the most rational thing. If you need anyone to talk to feel free to Pm me too!

15. PatC

They think I'm happy as a clam (cept for the grounding of course). Its amazing how dense they can be....

16. Chris89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in a very conservative place as well, and that is mainly the reason why I am still pretty firmly in the closet. You aren't alone in this, you should know that. There are so many people going through what you are right now! You would probably be surprised to know how many teenagers in your town that are going through similar situations as you right now. Gay people are everywhere! I know this, and no it hasn't been of much comfort I admit. It is very hard, and I know that people from larger places in the world just don't understand the dangers of being gay in such a conservative place. It is a terrifying thought just going out on your own at night. Your best bet would probably be to stay in the closet right now. It's painful I know, but if you can find some people to talk to that you truly believe will not be judgemental towards your sexuality you should go for it.
    As for swaying the opinion of homosexuality with your parents, you probably will not be successful. It's sad to admit, but hate is bred in the church. They will not be allowed to escape it out of fear of rejection from their Christian community. Christianity, especially in small towns is very fundamental and obeying and submitting is pounded into their psyche. It's not easily undone. I'm sure you know all of this though, having overly zealous Christians for parents.
    Do not commit suicide. That is just too easy! You have to find the determination to defy these people! Do not aid in their goals. You committing suicide would be one less gay person, and that is what they want. NO MORE GAY PEOPLE. Don't oblige their wishes! We are stronger than that! I have lived my life in pain because of a conservative town, and yes it hurts! But NO IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE to live through it. I have made it and am prepared to perservere through so much more. I just cannot give them the satisfaction of knowing they defeating one more "gay".
    True Christians do not practice hate. If you get into a conversation with your parents on the topic again, you can bring that up. Tell them you won't sign something against gay rights because you don't practice hate. Christians should not practice hate. The bible tells them not to! That is horrible, and I am honestly sorry. I can sympathize with this. My family is way more open-minded than this, my mom knows about me...but I know what it's like to live in such an intolerant place.
    Just perservere. It's all you can do! Don't become another statistic, you WILL eventually love life I promise! I'm not there yet, but I have faith!
    I used to cut myself like crazy, and it got me nowhere but a bunch of ugly scars. They are fading, thank God, but they are still there to remind me of all the pain. I only regret it, and I've had to tell so many people I used to cut myself because of the scars.
    Just realize you deserve to live as much as anyone else and that no one should have the strength to take your desire to live away. No one can crush you like that, you must be strong!
    We live in an amazing time when homosexuality is reaching such great new heights of acceptance. We may not see it first hand because of our small, conservative communities...but we have so much to look forward to in the future! Gay marriage is becoming more and more possible everyday! Just know you have so much to look forward to!
    We must be strong, and you're too young to give up.
    WE CANNOT GIVE THEM THE SATISFACTION. They will pay for their intolerance.

17. Chris

if you get lonely i'm here to talk just PM me, ok!:slight_smile:

18. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came from a highly religious family as well. Three of my uncles are pastors and my boarding school is a denominational institution inhabited by many homophobic religious freaks striving to save souls (whatever).

I don't bother changing my homophobic parents' views about homosexuals because I know that I'm smarter than them and doing so is just a waste of time.

How bad are you grounded? Maybe you can talk to your parents about what you can do to shorten your punishment. I think you need to learn to bargain with your parents.

19. PatC

To clarify: I have nothing wrong with being gay, I just can't stand the constant bashing of gay people, and because I voiced my opinion on the issue, I'm suddenly in deep shit.

The monitor my phone use, they did before I was even grounded (No, I don't mean that they just look through my phone, they get a report from verizon) That is an interesting website, I didn't find of much use of it though:confused:.
    No, There is no way in hell they are going to change, so I aint gonna try to change them. I am grounded until August 31, unless I decide to sign that damn petition of theirs, in which I'll only be grounded until July 31(wtf?). I've tried bargaining with them, they think I'm just being a "Teenager intent on sticking it to the man". For shit sakes, I'm in the fricken Boy Scouts, by choice (shut up all you fucking perverts). I seem to be getting no ware fast with them...

20. Jim1454

This really does sound like cruel and unusual punishment... What about contacting some kind of child welfare service near you? I don't think anyone would agree that a child should be grounded with no opportunity to go anywhere for 2.5 months because they won't sign a religious based (discriminatory) petition.

You could contact them via email and see about getting some help. You need to find some support for yourself - and at 15 that SHOULD be coming from your parents.