1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm petrified of my conservative Christian parents' reaction to me being gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Teall, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Teall

I am so scared. I don't know what they'd do.

Two years I tried to tell them I was bisexual and they reacted really, really negatiely but both said they still loved me but I couldn't deal with their reaction so I pretended it was just a phase. I accidentally came out to my older sister yesterday and she immediately said "no no no. you cant be gay that means you're going to hell" and almost fainted... she says she still loves me but wants to talk to me.

I know they (my parents) will still love me too, but I know they will try to "convert me" back to being straight lol. And I fear they will just never come around when they realize that this is not just a phase or a choice.

I fear they would throw me out, disown me or even worse, try to harm me if their attempts to convert me failed. MY PARENTS SHOW NO INCLINATION OF DOING THAT WHATSOEVER, they love me so much and this is just my crazy OCD head making me think all these awful scenarios, but I still think about it...

I'm 21 and have the means to live on my own, but I do NOT want to. I don't want to have to change my life around simply because theyre intolerant. I go to school full time.

Does anyone here have any experience with coming out to really conservative parents? Please anything would do. Thanks.

2. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well fortunately for me, my parents were both understanding (my dad more so than my mum). BUT (here's the big but) my sisters are a more complicated story. My sisters are closer to each other than any other relationship I've ever seen before. They tell each other EVERYTHING and pretty much the only difference between them is that one is SUPER SUPER homophobic (they're going to hell, they need to be 'fixed', the whole nine yards) and one is only slightly homophobic (she's not sure what to think, has been told that being gay/bi is wrong but hasn't decided which way she thinks yet). I haven't told either of them because I know if I tell my one sister she will probably never talk to me voluntarily again, and if I tell the other one she'll be forced to keep my secret from the first sister for me and I could never ask her to do that. ALSO when I told my mum, she didn't react badly, but she was sort of weird about it. I think she's of the mind that I'm going through a phase and that I'll get over it, which is awkward because I have a crush on one of my close girl friends, and I can't tell her about it :\

So I understand the whole homophobic family thing. And my reaction to it thus far has been to not come out to them (the ones I haven't already come out to, anyways). I'm hoping eventually they'll change, but if they don't then I won't tell them and that'll be that. Since you've already come out to them, what I would do is try to help them come around. They really do love you, or that is how you have portrayed them, and I know it's scary when people react less-than-awesomely to the news that you're not straight. But I think I can help you because once upon a time in a land far away, I was the most homophobic homophobe to ever homophobe (kind of ironic, right?). And it took me a LONG time (2 and 1/2 years plus realizing that I was bi) to completely realize that being non-straight was fine. So even though it might seem like they'll never understand, it's more likely that they're just adjusting. Everyone has different adjustment rates. Just give them time and guide them in the right direction as much as you can.

As for the anxiety/OCD element, I get that too. I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I'm fairly certain that I have some form of anxiety. The weeks leading up to me coming out (and the weeks after too) I was terrified, thinking up every possible scenario. Even after the deed was done, I was scared that my parents would change their minds, or that they had somehow known and pre-rehearsed an 'it's okay' speech so I would think they were cool with it while really they were planning to send me off to some reform camp or something. I had the full gamut of fantastic fears and worries, and just remember that probably all of them are fake.

So yeah. I basically wrote a giant response. I hope that I helped you! :slight_smile:

#2 CthulhuFhtagn, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. BadCanadaJoke

Well, according to what I've seen with other people you're pretty lucky. Basically you've already told your parents you're gay but they just swiped it under the carpet.

From what I hear you have a very tough road ahead of you. Your parents COULD accept you but they need to understand you more. They obviously love you so you will need to educate them. Show them how it's OK to be gay and how you're not really going to hell, there's worse sins than being gay. Like eating shrimp.
    You will have to teach them the very basic. How being gay isn't a choice, how you can have a nice life in the future, with a husband and kids and a picked fence and all that. They will have to hear all that.

ON the religious part of the educating to do I have this for you:
    The Gay Debate The Bible and Homosexuality - YouTube

And if THIS can't convince them,then tell them that if the Bible was wrong about shrimp and slavery,and wearing more than two types of clothing it CAN be wrong about sth as complicated as human sexuality(this is Dan Savage talking actually:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Also tell your sisters that according to the bible they should be put to death if they're not virgins at their wedding night... We were able to ignore all that from the old testament, we should learn to ignore the gay stuff.

Also,tell them to think for themselves. If their pastor tells them that you're going to hell cause he says so, they shouldn't take his word for it.

Hope I helped,sorry it was so long :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:P

#3 BadCanadaJoke, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013