1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out with a letter?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Summer Rose, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Summer Rose

So I want to come out to my grandparents, but whenever I want to speak, I just feel too awkward to say anything. Instead of speaking by mouth then, I will let my hand speak for me. I wanted to try and come out with a letter, most likely on a day before I leave for college for the week. What I ask is if anyone else believes in a better method or can maybe help me with this method. So far, I have a short paragraph that I believe will sum up my attempts at coming out:

"I want to say that I found a girl, a very unique one: She is tall, very tall. Her hair is long, think, dark-brown and is quite beautiful. She is quiet and quite shy; in fact, she doesn't have any friends outside of the internet. She is quite nerdy, loving video games and other things on the internet. When did I meet her? About four months ago. Now, I meet her often, and I can never stop thinking about her. I see her...every time I look into a mirror; she tells me to be strong, and that soon others will see her too. Yes, that girl is me...or rather, what I want to be; she is my goal, something I feel deep-down. she is very much like me, still holds all my interest (including girls). I know you probably won't understand, but I only ask you keep in open mind, thank you."

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :tears:

Well...that hit harder than I expected it to.

EDIT: Maybe tell them if they have questions they can ask you about it and you won't be offended even if they do sound really bad.

3. BKTHforever

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WOW. i nearly cried at the description of your future self.

I have been thinking of doing the same to my mom, write her a letter, in which telling her who i am. i have tried to tell her face to face, but that did not work out.

I think, that if you feel too uncomfortable, you should do what you feel most secure in. Be it a letter, a phone call or a third thing, it is only you and your grandparents that will be able to read/hear it/ etc... Be strong, be faithful, they need to hear it from you, and you have all the time in the world.

Like ElliaOtaku wrote, tell them if they have any questions, they can just ask you. Remember in these cases there are hardly stupid questions.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a beautiful note, but it is a bit unclear. I think you need to state that you like girls a bit more bluntly (rather than in parentheses)

5. Ruthven

That's a beautiful way of wording it. :slight_smile:

She's coming out about her gender.

6. Summer Rose

Thank you all for the kind words, and I might reword it still to make the orientation more explicit, though I have a feeling I'll need to confirm it anyways (I live with stubborn, but understanding people :lol: ).

7. Skyline

Sometimes a letter is really a best way to get things out.
    I might, if I were you, consider a follow up paragraph that's more direct and mentions some of the things already pointed out here, like "if you have questions for me, just ask" etc.

8. tulman

Being a grandparent myself and putting myself in your grandfather's shoes:
    I'd think a lot more of you if you showed us the respect of looking your grandmother and me in the eye and telling us in person. I think you'd have more respect for yourself and feel better about the face in the mirror too. It's called character building. The road of life can be bumpy at times.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I misunderstood. The letter is beautiful and exactly as it should be.