1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out as bi but I'm in a straight relationship?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by frandesu, Nov 18, 2013.

1. frandesu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i'm female and well, i've been attracted to boys and girls for a very long time. i kind of felt it was normal and didn't think about it too much. my first female serious crush was when i was 13. i daydreamed about kissing her and being with her. nothing happened because 1. we we're young, and 2. i didn't think it was right to do.

anyway enough with the back story. i've been with my boyfriend for 6 months and i came out to him as bisexual after about 4 months. he was the first person i came out to and i sobbed my little heart out to him. he doesn't mind at all and it hasn't broke our relationship one bit. i'm really struggling to keep it a secret from people, i'm scared to come out to my parents as i don't want to cause a stir and think there's trouble between my boyfriend and i.

as i'm in a straight relationship, shall i keep in the closet unless i get into a gay relationship and then come out? or should i come out now regardless of my relationship status:icon_sad:

thanks, hope this made sense :icon_redf

2. Nick07

Hi,
    I don't understand why you would want to come out now. Unless you want to break up with your boyfriend. Your sexuality is not other people's business if you are in a relationship. Why would they need to know if you are not "available" anyway?

3. frandesu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i just don't feel comfortable lying to myself about who i am. i feel restricted and i feel like i could be with this person for the rest of my life, so does it mean i have to live my life a lie?

i guess you're right though.

4. Nick07

I am not bi, so I can't really relate. But I don't think straight people care about sexuality as much we do. I think it's not a big deal for them. You don't lie to yourself or your boyfriend about who you are, do you? It's about the others. I am not sure how important it is for them to know. Or for you. :slight_smile:

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Unless you've explicitely told your parents or others that you're straight, you're not lying about your sexual orientation.
    Other than that and forgive me for being blunt, it's nobody's business, except for your partner. But he already knows.
    You're under no obligation to tell anyone your sexual orientation. Do it on your own terms and when you want it.
    In the mean time, as long as you don't deny it outright, there's nothing wrong with not coming out.

6. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone, read fradesu's title here:
    "I want to come out as bi" and the post where she said "i just don't feel comfortable lying to myself about who i am. i feel restricted and i feel like i could be with this person for the rest of my life, so does it mean i have to live my life a lie?"

Not sure why everyone is telling her to live in the closet just because she's with a guy. It's not just about who you're with or who you're gonna be with, it's about wanting to be open about who you are. Okay, so if she stays with her boyfriend she won't be looking for a girlfriend, but what if she wants to check out female celebrities with her mates, or even just talk about her feelings openly and honestly?

We're all presumed straight until we say otherwise, so why should fradesu go through life being seen as a straight woman when she's not? And what about increasing LGBT visibility? Bisexuals are even more of a minority than gay people, and everyone who comes out is helping to make LGBT to be perceived as "normal" in society. If every bi in an opposite-sex relationship is in the closet, then we're even more invisible.

Fradesu, if you want to stay in the closet, stay in. If you want to come out, then come out. I recommend it. It feels like such a relief. But it's not necessary, it's totally up to you, it's a personal decision.

There's no rush either - you say there's trouble with your boyfriend? I would recommend focusing on one thing at a time - decide whether you want to stay with your boyfriend first, then decide whether you want to come out. You don't have to start with your parents - I told a few friends first, ones who I knew would be cool with it and support me, which helps build your confidence up. Good luck :slight_smile: