1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is an email OK?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Louise1, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Louise1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi - hope this all makes sense :slight_smile:

I am pretty much out to everyone except my family now. This is not because I don't want to tell them or because I think they will react badly but I just haven't been able to form the words.

I was in a long-term relationship with a man so they probably think I am straight. Now I have come to the realisation that I like women....but I am not sure if it is ONLY women or men and women. At the moment I am only interested in women but don't want to close off the possibility of me ever being with a man. Looking back there were always signs that I was interested in women.

I have met someone online and we have been dating but it is not super serious yet. However, as I talk about this openly with friends and colleagues I hate the thought of everyone but my parents knowing what I am up to as feels like I am keeping it a secret. I would also be crushed if they found out from someone other than me.

The problem is I struggle to find the words to explain that while I am only interested in women at the moment I am not entirely sure if I am gay or bi. Also in the absence of a serious relationship it could just sound like I am discussing my sex life.

I then though I would write them an email so I could get the whole story down but my friend said this was a bad idea and I need to tell them face to face. The problem is that if I do this I don't know how to open the conversation. I will also need to do it twice as my parents are divorced.

If I did send the email it was going to read like this:

Hi Mum and Dad

Firstly, I just want to say that I know you will both be super supportive about this. The reason I have written it down is just because I find it hard to formulate the first words. However, feel free to call me and I will be happy to talk about things further.

In a nutshell, I am currently dating a women. I met her through online dating after realising that since splitting up from X I wanted to explore my feelings. I now know that I do have feelings for women. I probably also still like men. I can't really explain much more as I don't really know myself where I stand. I know this doesn't give you much explanation but I don't really have any answers myself - I just didn't want either of you to be the last to know.

Lots of Love

What do you think?

2. Summer Rose

Hm..Would definitely explore your relationship a bit more before you come out. Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're too sure of your orientation yet, so maybe you're best bet is to be "bi" until you're sure you are gay.

As for your letter:

"I want to say that I know you will both be super supportive about this.

I am currently dating a women. I met her through online dating after realizing that, since splitting up from X, I wanted to explore my feelings. I now know that I do have feelings for women, but I probably still like men as well. I can't really explain it much more as I don't really know where I stand. I know this doesn't give you much explanation, but I don't really have any answers myself: I just didn't want either of you to be the last to know.

The reason I have wrote this down is that I find it hard to formulate the right words. Feel free to call me and I will be happy to talk about things further.

Lots of Love"

This is just my opinion on how it could look better; feel free to change it at your discretion.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is great choice of words.

My only thought is would you trust them to keep it to themselves - the great temptation with emails is to press the "forward to..." button to a relative .. then everyone may see it.

Just a thought.

4. lovely lesbian

I think it sounds really good xxx

5. RainbowMan

Yeah, I came out to my parents via email, and the rest of the world via Facebook. Some people might take issue with that, but it's what worked for me.

I did give my immediate family notice (one day) prior to the Facebook post, though. I have a lot of siblings....

6. UK_guy

I came out to my parents via email and it was fine as I struggled in finding the right words and found it easier to email them. The only thing I would change is from where it says in a nutshell from women to woman unless your dating more than one :lol: