1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does "taking a break" mean?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theaterfreak, Jun 13, 2008.

1. theaterfreak

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ok, so i'm not the most experienced person on here, but today my girlfriend said that she needs to work on her schoolwork and just focus on her for awhile. and she mentioned she wanted a couple of weeks. so i'm wondering if that's what she really means or is this heading to break up town? please help. thanks

2. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

She's probably very stressed with school and is having a hard time juggling a relationship at the same time. I think a couple weeks is scary though, I really don't know if it would be a good idea for either of you. Also you want to be very clear about the terms of the break, IE no cheating. You should really ask her about this, but give her a day or two to collect her thoughts. If you do decide to take a break after all I would suggest at least one answered phone call to each other every day, I mean space can be needed, but the anxiety that can come from being apart from your love can be excruciatingly painful and will probably make things worse. But if contact, at least over the phone, isn't broken then it is much much easier to deal with. I think it could be hurtful to your relationship or helpful, it just matters how you both deal with it. Also don't expect her to talk to you on the phone for 4 hours a night, maybe like an hour. 4 hours would be breaking the break, which ultimately might prove disastrous.

3. davo-man

I don't think she's heading to break up town, to me it just sounds like she really needs to focus on her study and is trying to have as little distractons available as possible and girlfriends/boyfriends can be very distracting. However, I also agree with Nicvcer in that a total lack of communication would make it harder. Perhaps restricting contact, but not full on stopping it. I dunno, you'll need to talk to her about that.

Also, when I saw this title, my mind immediately went to Friends hehe

4. SRSLYMARK

I agree with the above posters. :slight_smile: Just make it clear to her what you think would be good terms for a break, and it should be fine.