1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rocking23, Jun 13, 2008.

1. rocking23

Hey all!

So I'm leaving for a trip to Spain with my Spanish class in 2 weeks for 12 days. I've been planning to come out (to my family at the least) when i get back, before the summer is over. But that's not really the reason of this post :lol:

So, people at school have been constantly pestering me about it (being gay - it's on and off.) I was just wondering what you guys 'n' gals think of setting my Facebook status as "[name] is gay...yep" would you recommend that or to just say yes if I'm asked..

In one way, I'm leaning to the Facebook one only because I can get it out there in one big bang, rather than telling one person and watch it branch out.

So anyways.. tell me what you think of it.. Do you think it will go well? Have a different recommendation?

Thanks!

2. Trent13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well it depends how badly you are getting bullied because if you are getting bullied badly already, wouldn't them mean that they would do it more often. but then i so pose they would give up after a few weeks?
    Well i don't know because i'm thinking of dong the same thing...
    But i don't really want to because a few people i don't want to tell...

Sorry if this didn't help but maybe we should both take in the advise that will be given?..

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! I don't think it would be a good idea. Even though people have pestered you about it, that does not mean that they necessarily know your sexual orientation. Putting it out there on Facebook for all your friends and/or classmates to see you lose control over your coming out and you could be setting up yourself for things that you might not even expect at this stage. I think it would be far better if you are in control of your coming out. This allows you to decide to whom you want to come out and when. Also, some of your friends might not suspect anything. It may come to a surprise to them. Telling them in person shows them that you do this for a good reason.

I hope this is of some help!

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that would certainly get it out there quickly. I guess if you are 100% okay with it being known, it's very effective. But you'll want to be über-prepared for the consequences if some people decide to take issue with it. And I wouldn't recommend doing it before your trip with your class because you'll be stuck with them in close quarters for the duration and things are just naturally more tricky in those kind of travelling circumstances.

As for how it will go over—well it's certainly very gutsy and I'm not sure if people will really be prepared for someone to come out that way. Is there some reason (that you haven't mentioned) that you want to get it over and done so... thoroughly?

5. ColtonSmiths

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think you should tell people when you think they're ready to know. Posting it on facebook isn't a smart idea until everyone you are worried about knowing knows, and the only people left to find out are the people you don't care about.