1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom just said this to me out of the blue, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idonteveknow, Nov 19, 2013.

1. idonteveknow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    so my mom was doing her night routine( brushing teeth and stuff) and she was drunk. She said to me around the lines of " bring home any girl that you like, i am very open minded, you have to find mrs. right in life. Not a MISTER right...." idk how to feel about it... i am still in the closet and nobody knows. im starting to think she would be the type who would kick me out if i did come out. Any advice? im not sure how to feel... should i feel hurt or what... any similar scenarios happen to any of you? how did it turn out?

2. ba92

Out Status:
    A few people
    hello there, Good Morning!
    Your mother probably knows your gay. when people say drunk things, they come off pretty rude. she might not know for sure, but she at least heard from someone (family member maybe?). and even though i don't know your mother, I don't think this is a sign of her kicking you out for being gay, that's a bit of a jump. my advice to you would be to keep calm, pay more attention to the things your mom say from now on and try not to jump the gun, oka? BTW yes, I have had my mother say careless and hurtful words to me that she didn't even think twice about. now, i'm out to her but it didn't help our relationship any; comments like those make me not trust her much.
    I hoped this helped some.

3. BadCanadaJoke

I say you don't read much into it... If it comes up again then maybe worry...

4. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Agreed, don't read too much into what people say when they're drunk.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if she is the type who would "kick you out"; you don't say how old you are; it is not legal to "kick" a minor child out of their house; that would be a form of child neglect or abuse almost anywhere in the civilized world. She might make your life unpleasant, particularly if she is an alcoholic and drinks frequently. The fact that she made the comment about Mr Right at all suggests that she might be suspecting that you are not heterosexual; you might want to think about what you would say if she directly asks you about your sexuality at some point in the future.

Please don't feel hurt; you have not done anything wrong and there is nothing wrong with you to feel hurt or ashamed about. Your mom, with her inhibitions released by alcohol, has told you that she probably is not going to be supportive of your orientation, so it is probably not a good time to come out to her voluntarily for now, even if you have been contemplating doing that. To say much more without you disclosing more about your family and living situation would probably not be a good idea. If you want to talk about your feelings about needing to come out, and what your living arrangements might be if it gets too stressful living with your mom, either because she is an alcoholic, or because of your strong need to come out, then people here will no doubt be happy to provide some suggestions or opinions about your options.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like she knows you're gay (or at least strongly suspects). Very often, parents will say things like that, sometimes not even consciously, with the hope it will somehow change things.

Do you have any reason to believe that she would kick you out? How old are you?