1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at work (A Corporate Environment)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Monika the Diva, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Monika the Diva

Hello Everyone,

I worked for my company for over 11 years. We went corporate in the last 5 years or so. So everyone in the office knows me. I plan on transitioning next year but I've decided to have sex before making a final decision. But anyway the question is:

Should I come out as a transgender female to my team once I started HRT and have been doing that for 8 months in (on average that should be around the time physical changes will begin to occur)? Or should I be honest with my team and general manager and direct supervisor before HRT?

2. juliegt6

Work with Human Resources to formulate a strategy to come out. I came out this spring right before I switched presentation. My transition couldn't have gone more smoothly at work. And I work in a super conservative company. If you want I can pm you my full story with ideas and what hr did, through pm.

3. Just Jess

Hi Juliegt6,

I sent you a PM just a minute ago - hey just because I'm an adviser now doesn't mean I never need advice myself - but I just wanted to make a note here so that other people know, while you won't be able to PM just yet, other people will be able to post any questions to your profile wall.

Good to have you here though, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would depend on how liberal or conservative this company is. Also, it would depend on what protocols are in place to protect you and how you perceive this corporate entity to have handled sexual orientation issues with fellow employees in the recent past.