1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Go?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WiliamRoberts, Nov 23, 2013.

1. WiliamRoberts

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Recently I made the decision to start working towards coming out. I can think about being gay; i can type about being gay, but I can't bring my self to spit it out.

I was looking across the internet and found a LGBT charity that runs in Hampshire (where I live). I gave them my email and they gave me options about what they did, one option was a group of youth groups they did. I don't want to go to the one in the town i live, but they also run one in the next town over where people are very unlikely to recognise me.

I'm mulling over whether or not it would be worth going; what do you think?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

i think you should do it; if nothing else it might help you be more comfortable with being gay.

3. SixesAndSevens

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job for getting in that mindset. It's something I know I couldn't muster just yet.
    Same here!

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd have thought it would be worth going. I imagine that attending would help bolster your confidence and aid in your eventual coming out. The question is, how certain are you that you wouldn't be recognised there and even if you were, how worried would you be if word did spread?

What I do understand about coming out is that it's all about taking steps as and when you feel confident enough to do it. So yes, if you feel ready to attend a group like this, then I'd be surprised if it wasn't helpful. Hope this helps.

4. blueberrymuffin

You should go. Those places are meant exactly for someone in your shoes. If someone did recognize you, i guess that means they're LGBT too? What risk are you taking then?

5. emkorora

emkorora Guest

MOMENT FOR OBNOXIOUS INTERNET MEMES HAS COME.

In truth, YOLO. You only live once, might as well try it. Who knows what may come of it, good or ill. :slight_smile:

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you should go. But you can start the process by looking into a mirror and saying out loud "I am gay, and it is OK". Say it over and over again until you can do so and feel like it IS OK. When you are alone in your car, yell it out loud, where no one can hear you, as loud as you can. Then, when you get to that youth camp, you can say it with conviction to the other kids, and it will not sound strange to you to say it out loud, and you know that they will understand because they are gay too.

Oh, and if your icon is your actual picture, don't be surprised if a lot of the guys there want to get to know you better. :thumbsup:

#6 Yossarian, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013