1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does She Know?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mylo360, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Mylo360

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, I need to get somebodies opinion on this situation. Lately, my mother has been making some very masculine focused comments towards me. For example just yesterday she essentially told me that the items I wanted for Christmas (A nice watch, some new glasses, and a few nice new shirts) were not very masculine. I should get something better, like a shotgun, or maybe a handgun. Maybe a bow even!

Then, the next day she somehow brought up a conversation with me and my father, about how I don't fit the role of a "drama" kid very much. I am heavily involved in athletics just as I am with theater, but according to her just don't really match the usual stereotype seen with people in that department. She kept on making it a point to tell me how I am much more like a "real man" and not some feminine acting wierdo/gay boy.

Sure, I don't act very girly. Sure, I guess that I don't fit the usual "gay" stereotype. But her words are so offensive to me, my own mother being a stereotyping bigot! Because the truth of the matter is, yes I am absolutely one hundred percent GAY! I am just sick of how society tries to tell a person who they must be.....

Sorry kinda got off track. The question that I have for everyone is, well my mom has literally going out of her way to make sure I understand these points of hers, which makes me think that its possible she might be suspecting the truth.

How do I deal with this? :icon_sad:

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like she suspects that you are gay/bi and wants to deny it. You deal with it, if you are ready, by telling her that you are a normal athlete who also likes theater and drama, and a "real man" who happens to be gay. If she won't listen to you, have the conversation with your father and let him help you talk with her. Tell her also that the items you want for Christmas have nothing to do with your sexuality, but you need a nice watch and new glasses more than a nice shotgun or pistol, so there is no point in her buying what you don't need to create some phony image of masculinity, because you are masculine enough just as you are without the props. If she doesn't understand what you are saying, you might want to get some pamphlets from PFLAG and put them where she can find them, because she might need some help in understanding what she needs to do, which is not to badger you into trying to put on a macho image to please her.