1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need comming out advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ItsChris, Nov 23, 2013.

1. ItsChris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I recently realized/accepted that i'm bi. Recently, i have felt that my family has learned about this. I never really wanted to come out this soon, but with my brother on my computer a lot, i think he knows. He could have easily looked at my history. I have been acting a little "happy" lately. I just hope no one knows yet. Speaking about coming out, i just need general advice...may be a cliche question, but does anyone feel like your family some what understand you more after comming out? Also for people with homofobic family members, do they still act the same? My mom is very homofobic...and i know she is supportive, but what if she isnt? i just need to calm down

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm also in my 20s and bi, and I came out to my parents and sister a couple months ago. My parents love me no matter what but they had no idea what I meant when I said I was bi. It came as a surprise to them. My sister was a lot more understanding. Not that she had any idea either, but our generation is so much more knowledgeable about LGBT issues that it's been a lot easier to talk to her about it.

Maybe start with your brother or a close friend. It also helps to practice your conversation before having the big one with your family.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found my family had so little idea what being bi actually was that they probably understood me worse than before. Had a lot of explaining to do afterwards.

At least you can be reasonably comfortable knowing that if they HAVE figured it out, it wasn't so big a concern that they decided to confront you about it,

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    you may feel you mum is homophobic by what she says but often it is just learned behaviour from society and I bet if she really focused on the fact it was her son - she'd be very loving and supportive towards you ?

5. ItsChris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, thanks for the advice! I may come out to my brother first, but i may just wait.