1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I bring myself to come out just yet? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Blue90, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I was supposed to go and visit my friend yesterday. I had in my mind that I was ready to come out to her. She knows I've had something on my mind for a while that I haven't been telling her. I was going to explain that I have been trying to figure out some things about my feelings and that I am attracted to girls.

BUT... I couldn't go through with it. I made an excuse and didn't go to see her. I think I'd been putting too much pressure on myself, telling myself that this would be the day I'd say it. I couldn't face being with her and not telling her AGAIN!

Although I've been questioning my sexuality for years, it's only really very recently that I've come out to MYSELF properly. I've realised that accepting my orientation, and dealing with the consequences of that acceptance are two separate issues. I'm gay. And I've realised I'm totally fine with feeling that way in the privacy of my own head. But it still feels so hard to write it down and say it out loud, because it feels like I've made some kind of life changing decision. It is ridiculous to feel its a decision. It isn't. It's just who I am. I've realised I have probably only been doubting the fact I'm gay due to a fear of how my life would change if it was true; dealing with judgement, opioids and reactions of others.

Strangely, I feel kind of relieved I haven't said anything just yet, that I didn't tell my friend yesterday. I think I was trying to rush forwards too fast. I feel a little disappointed in myself but I think I've done the right thing for me. It's as though I need some time where I can just feel what it's like to be comfortable with being gay in my own head and heart. Like a period of time where I'm ok with it and NOT doubting myself for once! I guess I'm scared that dealing with others reactions too soon might send me back to that awful place of questioning and self doubt.

So my question is... Is it normal to feel this way, is this a normal part of the process? Or am I just still in denial but I don't realise it? How long does it take between coming out to yourself and feeling ready to share that with others? Do you just have to push through the fear of knowing you can't take the words back once you've said them or should it feel right? I know everyone is different but hearing about others views and experiences may help...

#1 Blue90, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. D43054

Blue, I think that everyone finds their own time and space. I'm 51... I've known I was gay since I was 14 and I've just started the coming out process. (I don't recommend my timeline :lol:slight_smile:

It's a very personal journey, but I can tell you a few things I am learning on my journey... Once you actually find the courage to tell your friend... You will change. For me it was like a snowball that started down a mountainside... It continues to grow and gain momentum. I fell more alive than I have in years. For the first time in my life I feel at peace.

I really suggest you watch a you tube video by Ash Beckham... She really gets at the heart about closets and the hard conversations we have in life. It all seemed clearer to me once she said it.

There are a lot of people here on EC who have given me amazing support... I know they'll do the same for you.

You'll find your courage, and establish your own time for coming out... We'll be here for you before, during, and after.

3. Nick07

It's perfectly normal :slight_smile: You probably feel like saying it aloud will make it official. Take your time. Maybe you could start with commenting hot girls in front of your friend. She may notice without you telling her openly. Perhaps it would be easier for you?

Also, be prepared that although it will be a big step for you, for your friend it can be much less important. Maybe after you tell her, she will say, "That's cool. Oh, have you already seen the movie we talked about the other day?"
    Don't be disappointed if that happens. Straight people are not used to think about their sexuality as gay people are :slight_smile:

4. Iamqm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey, take your time. I've been questioning my sexuality for several years too and I will probably stay closeted for another two years. It just doesn't feel right ( at the moment ).
    I believe it's a normal part of the process. And you shouldn't force yourself to come out if you're not ready. But keep in mind that you'll have to "push through the fear" eventually.

Sorry, I hope this makes sense.

5. Freddy

Freddy Guest

Blue, When you are ready you will come out. Im 53 and just came out in July. Once the words came out of my mouth "Im gay", I changed. It was a HUGE relief. It was an epiphany…I cannot express how fantastic of a moment it is in your life. I was now FREE. I was now honest with myself and with all the world. Shakespeare got it right in "Hamlet". Polonius tells Laertes, his son, as he is going out to the world…"And this above all else..to thine own self be true. And it shall follow, as day into night, that shall not be false to any man" (sic)..
    You can and will do this. Push through the fear as qm suggests…it will set you free

6. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all for your encouragement. It is certainly useful to have EC as a place to talk when there is no way of talking to anyone else in your life right now!

I have watched Ash Beckham's talk about closets before. I've just watched it again now and every word of it is inspirational and rings true in some way.

I guess I'm just feeling that I need a little while to be at peace with myself and my past and present thoughts and feelings without them being clouded by the thoughts and opinions of the important people in my life. I feel taking that time to become 'happy' and comfortable with the fact that I'm gay, rather than only feeling just about 'ok' about it, could make coming out that little bit easier. I suppose I feel I'm less likely to fall into the trap of apologising for who I am and the hurt its caused if I've been happy and accepting of it myself for a while. If this means staying in the closet and delaying that hard conversation just a little longer, then so be it. I'm not sure how long it'll take but I'm sure I'll know when the time is right to say something.

Who should be the first person with which I have that 'hard conversation'? That is the next question I need to answer for myself!

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

I think you wanting to take it slow, and taking the time becoming comfortable with yourself, is a good way to begin your coming out process. Being comfortable with yourself, will allow you to be also more confident in speaking about and being open about your sexual orientation.

It will depend on who you trust, and think will be supportive. Most who feel ready to come out, start with a really good friend whom they know they can trust. Sometimes, the first person can also be a teacher or counsellor.

8. Scottsdale

Scottsdale Guest

Although I recognize that I had the attractions and inclinations from childhood, I never admitted it to myself until I was in my 40's. I am 56 now. I am at peace with myself on the issue. Whether, if ever, I decide to tell anyone else, time will tell. Right now, I feel no need. The potential for upset and rejection, whether actual or subtle, is too great, so why disturb what is going well?

9. jrblue

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Blue,
    I can completely relate. I would of thought you had just written a post on my behalf. I currently am struggling and procrastinating telling my best friend and I keep coming up with stupid reasons why I won't . I know she doesn't suspect by some pretty homophobic things I've said in the past that I regret but I only said it to keep all doubt out of people's mind. Anyways don't feel strange, your not the only one in the boat and I don't think I'll be leaving anytime soon. Good luck I hope you the best.

10. D43054

I know what you mean... fwiw... I chose someone who I totally trusted... Yet was not very interconnected with the rest of my life. He was supportive, he's listened, and he's pushed back when I needed it. The second person actually opened the subject with me, she had seen a huge difference and had always suspected anyway. She is a amazing friend and is someone who is with me almost everyday. She's helping me come to terms with talking to my wife about being gay. I'm blessed to have two such friends... I'll bet you have some just as supportive.

Again, don't rush yourself. You're right, you owe no apologies. You do have to be able to accept yourself, and be at peace with your decision first. This is a big step for us... You're doing great!

Keep writing. It really helps.

11. Blue90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha funny you can come across someone on the other side of the world in the same predicament as you isn't it! I know what you mean about procrastinating. One day I'm 100% sure I'll say something. But, the next day I convince myself that my friend won't react well, or it's too soon. I suppose its at the back of my mind that once I've said it I can't take it back and change my mind. I too regret not standing up to homophobia from others more than I do, but I guess it sometimes feels too risky to be really defensive incase you're asked a question you don't want to answer just yet. I guess maybe it'll never feel totally right so we just got to go for it... Hope you find the courage soon (*hug*)

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2013 at 12:33 PM ----------

I suppose that part of my problem is that I actually don't have that many close friends. I have 2 close friends that I really value, only one of whom I could talk to about stuff like this though. I've always had issues trusting people in general. It's like I just push people away without realising it. Its like my subconscious is telling me the fewer people I get emotionally attached to, the less likely I am to get hurt when they get taken away. It all stems back to some very traumatic events in my teenage years where my father nearly died, so I knew all too well how much it hurt to lose someone you love. But it's something I'm working hard to change. It's a terrible way to approach relationships and has led to me being pretty lonely. I do wonder if part of it is down to the fact I have never been able to form bonds with friends because I've not been able to talk openly about my feelings so I probably come across as secretive and cold. Who knows!? Maybe this would all improve if I was open about my true self.

At least not having that many close relationships in life means theres not many people to tell!! The one and only friend I do really feel I could tell is actually not very interconnected with the rest of my life at all, similar to how you describe your friend. She lives quite a distance away so we rarely see each other; I'd always thought she wouldn't be ideal to provide support, but thinking again maybe I'm wrong. I think she may be a good place to start before I tell my parents (who i still live with, and it is my mum's reaction which matters most to me). Aside from that the only other people in my life who matter are my extended family (aunties, uncles, cousins etc). I'm pretty sure they would possible tolerate me at most but not really accept me if I came out because they all frequently talk of homosexuals as if they are strange/ abnormal. I suppose I may be proven wrong in many cases.

Apologies for my waffling. Like you say, writing it down helps!

12. D43054

So I am in the middle of this myself... I've got two trusted allies, and have yet to face the rest of the world. Scary doesn't begin to describe it... In other words I get it! But you will feel something different when you can find that first trusted person. You may even find you can define your own trust issues through this journey.

As for the waffling... I'm there with you too. One day I'm ready to tell my family and the world, and the next I'm cowering in my closet. I think most of us feel the pressure for family acceptance. It's something you may not get initially... But in time many will come around, some will not. It will probably be the same with your friends. You will move forward and find peace in your new life.

I'm following you closely... Keep posting... and no apologies! :slight_smile: