1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Talk to my Mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LongMayIReign, Nov 24, 2013.

1. LongMayIReign

About two months ago I came out to my mom via text. The first thing she asked me when I got home was when I was going to tell my dad (they're married just for reference) and my sister who is a high school junior. I shrugged it off because I need to take it slow and at my own pace. I'm not in a situation where I could make a facebook post outing myself to everyone or something major as such. She said she wants my dad to know because it's not an issue and she just wants him to know.

My thought process to this is yes of course I want him to know but I don't feel ready or confident just yet nor do I have a legitimate reason to, as I've had with everyone else. However, I'm starting to suspect that she may have told him. He used to always use male pronouns when referring to my future partner, but lately he's been using gender neutral pronouns and keeps saying that it only matters that my spouse is of the same religion (which kinda bothers me because I don't care if my spouse isn't Jewish, as long as I can raise my future kids under my faith.) Even tonight he said "Did you meet any cute boys at Splash? [no] Any cute girls?" Which has like never happened before.

I mean, I know he'll be accepting and maybe I'm glad that he seems so open to the possibility, but I don't want him to know before I'm ready. I want to ask my mom if she mentioned it to him but I don't want to sound accusing and everytime we talk about my sexuality it gets really awkward, like she goes super particular with her word choice and it's just makes me feel vulnerable. I feel like telling her put a huge burden on her shoulders and I kinda feel guilty making her keep it a secret. So how do I bring it up?

2. Arrow Ace

Maybe next time he asks if you have seen any cute girls you could say yes? I bring up the subject in every conversation I have with my family for some reason! I would jump at the chance to reveal my true form*turns into a rainbow* to my extended family, so I think you should do the same with your dad given how exepting he seems to be.

3. LongMayIReign

He asked again. I said no. It's so weird, like I have no problem talking about that sorta stuff as an overall idea with him but when it comes specifically to me, I panic and deny it.