1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I word this?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IphisAndIanthe, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Once upon a time, I came out as asexual. Well, that's not entirely true. A friend of mine decided I was asexual, and the label stuck when I didn't refute it. The thing is, I'm actually gay. I want to come out now, but I'm having trouble telling two friends of mine, whom I think will struggle with viewing me as anything other than asexual. These friends really deserve to hear it from me first. I don't think they'll react negatively, but their views of me will be shattered, so I'm incredibly nervous to tell them. I don't have the strength to tell them in person, so I'm thinking I should send them a message on facebook. Could any of y'all give me advice on what to say without it sounding awkward. Also, if anyone could give me a pep talk to boost my courage, that'd be great.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically, and forgive me if this sounds wrong to you, but my understanding of 'asexual' is 'not interested in sex'. Correct? So you may consider something like...

Hey *******,

I wanted to tell you something important but I was having a bit of trouble with the words and I thought it might be easier to write you this message and talk to you about it if we need to later!

As you probably know, I've really not been interested in sex at all. In fact ***** thought I was completely asexual! Well as it happens, I'm not. I'm gay!

Perhaps you want to add something here, I don't know, but you don't NEED to.

Love ****

Something like that?

3. Asexual is actually "a lack of sexual attraction," but for my purposes, your definition works too.

And thanks for the script. I'll probably use a slightly altered version of what you've said, if I actually am brave enough to send it.

Once I tell these two, coming out to my other friends will be a piece of cake, so I'm hoping to get this over with.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone