1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally Lost

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Lost One, Nov 25, 2013.

1. The Lost One

Hi,

I'm coming here to receive some advice that hopefully will help me out. I'll give you a few facts about me. I'm 34, male, a teacher, and in the closet. I'm pretty much so far in the closet that I'm sure most people see me as asexual.

I've probably known I was gay on some level since I was 12 but really, it wasn't until I was 26 that I accepted it. And, by 'accepting it', I mean I stopped letting it drive me nuts but I still never acted on it. I just focused on other things like travelling and my career. So, for 8 years I've just lived this asexual, celibate life.

In my entire life, I've only had 2 people ask me if I was gay (because they said I was cute but never had a girlfriend). I'm surprised that number isn't higher. I'm average to moderately good looking, nice personality (no trouble making friends) and a sharp dresser. I'm not macho in the least but at the same time not really feminine either (stereotype, I know). Most of my friends are women but I get along with their husbands/boyfriends too. It's weird. I hang out with these women without their husbands around and the husbands are cool with it. Then again, I go over to their houses and hang out with both of them too. I get along with most people. So, they probably all think I'm gay but NONE of them ask me about it. I'm always surprised that they don't. I never mention finding anyone hot, and I never talk about dating. Yet, no one says anything. I must give off that "DO NOT ASK ME" vibe. A few of my friends jokingly call me Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. I know that most (if not all) of my friends would not care if I told them I was gay.

In April, my parents invited me over for supper. So, we're sitting there and my father says "Do you mind if I ask you an extremely personal question?". I said "yes" because I knew what he was going to ask. He said "why?". I replied "It's none of your business". So, he let it drop then asked my mother if she could get something in the other room. Then when she was gone he asked "Are you gay?". I finally just bit the bullet and told him "probably". He asked what that meant and I said I was "99.9% sure". Then my mom came back and they asked me a bunch of questions that made me want to hurl. I.e. "Have you ever been with a man?". (The answer is no by the way). I haven't been with a woman either but we didn't get into that. They told me they loved me and accepted me, blah blah blah. My mother and I get along fine but my father and I have a rocky relationship (nothing in common and he's an alcoholic...yes that's a whole other kettle of fish). I've always figured they would be fine with it (in recent years). I have a gay first cousin on each side of the family, so I wouldn't be trail-blazing here. Anyway, they told me I should just start living my life. But that's where I come to my main problem.

I live in a small city and teach in a tiny rural community (religious). I'm an elementary teacher. My kids like me and I'm an 'established teacher' (my name's on the door...ha!). I get along with my staff but I can't ever picture myself being 'out' and still teaching there. Gay marriage is legal in my country and I know I wouldn't be fired if I did come out and most of the teachers probably wouldn't care. But still, I just can't envision it.

Being in the closet is affecting every part of my life. I'm basically on the fringes of everyone else's life with no substance to my own. For a long time I was okay with that. I just wanted a stable career. I was going to buy a house this summer but deep down I just couldn't do it because I don't know if I can still live here. So, I'm in an apartment with my crappy, cheap furniture (I have good taste but don't want to buy anything nice if I'll just end up leaving it here). I can only picture myself being 'out' in a big city like Toronto or Montreal. Unfortunately, there are no teaching jobs there. So, I consider going back to Asia (I taught there for 5 years). But, then I give up my permanent contract here, my pension, etc. See, I AM ready to settle down and buy a house like most 34 year olds....BUT I just don't think I can do that here.

My thought process keeps spinning around and around in this circle and I can't seem to find any way out of it. But, doing what I'm doing is not working anymore either. My friends are all pretty much married now and having kids. I have my job. That's it. I don't even have a dog (dogs are a commitment and I can't commit to anything as long as there's a chance I might leave again). So then I think about going back to school and changing careers so that I can work in a larger city. But, that makes me tired even thinking about it.

I find it really quite depressing that I don't think there's ONE person I feel like I can talk to about this. I haven't talked to my parents about it since they day they asked me. I really don't know what to do. I'm sorry this is so long but I just had to put this out there. Thanks for any insight you have to offer.

2. Coinshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi and welcome to EC! Your story struck a particular cord with me because I often feel similarly (on the fringes of everyone else's life with none of my own, lost, etc.) even though we are at much different stages of life. I guess I'll try to help as best I can.

First of all, why do you think you can picture yourself as out of the closet and settling down somewhere else but not where you are now? Even though you say most people would probably be ok with it, are you apprehensive about the way people would view you once you're completely out? Is there a particular draw to a big city that you think would make it easier for you to come out? Or that it offers more opportunities for you to build your own life and/or start anew?

You also mentioned moving back to Asia to teach. Could you picture yourself as out, happy, and building your life in Asia as a resident? If you can't picture yourself living there long-term, I'd say it's probably not the best course of action to go back there, as that probably won't do anything for your desire to settle down. In fact that may actually make the feeling worse.

In terms of going back to school and changing jobs, would you be doing it because you're tired of your current occupation and/or have another field that you think you'd be happier in? Or would you be doing it JUST so you could move to a city? If it's the latter, that doesn't seem like a particularly good idea to me. Paying for that education is also a factor (though I'm not sure how much that would be in your country, so it may be less than I think).

From what you're saying, it seems like there's something drawing you to live in a bigger city, or just somewhere that's not where you are now. Maybe you just feel stagnant where you are currently and are itching for a change? What I'm getting is that you want to settle down, but not where you live now. Doing things like coming out, buying a house, etc. will tether you to the area even more. You may not want to do these things, but maybe you feel like you should since there doesn't seem to be a realistic alternative available? Sorry if it seems like I'm making assumptions, just trying to get a feel for what may be going on.

Hope this helps.

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Lost One,

I completely understand your feeling of cruising along at flight idle, going nowhere fast, but unable to change direction without great difficulty, so you just keep doing what you are doing, flying in circles, following the path of least resistance, alive but not really living, not really asexual, but living asexually as though you were.

There is a difference between realizing that you are gay but not living that way, and accepting that you are gay and modifying your life plans and style accordingly. You have figured out who you are but are living in a context where you feel that living that lifestyle openly would not fit in with the views and people around you. Instead of making the changes that would let you really live your life, you have done the same thing I did at your age, and just avoided the reality of being gay by acting the same way an asexual person would act, even though that is not what you are, burying yourself in the details of your teaching career, the same way I busied myself with my own at your age. You probably feel like you have waited too long at this point to "come out" because you are well beyond the age where most people do, so that they can look around and date, and find another person to share their lives with. So you live from day to day just "getting by", thinking about what it would be like to take some kind of bold step to make a big change to a happier life, but then talking yourself out of it out of the fear that you will lose whatever you currently have in your stabile but not enjoyable situation.

Let me be blunt and say, dude, you need to get your ass in gear and do what your brain is telling you to do, which is to push the throttles forward, and climb out of the uncomfortable little nest you have made for yourself, and do exactly what you know you should do, which is to make the move to a larger city where you have a reasonable chance of meeting Mr Right, and where you can start living your true identity. If you were comfortable where you are, you would not be reading this right now, you would be grading papers, or sitting in a chair reading a novel. You aren't, so you are ready to bite the bullet and MAKE the changes you need to happen. Sure, you will lose some of the benefits you have accumulated by leading a boring life unsuited to who you are, but you are still young enough that you have the potential to do something more with your life. If you like teaching, then go back to school and prepare yourself to teach at the college level. Most universities are much better environments for discovering gay people without it being a prejudicial limitation, while you are a graduate student, and after you become a college professor. You will also have an expanded range of work types available to you with an advanced degree, and not be "trapped" in a rural elementary school environment, surrounded by religious homophobes.

We (including me) always have the hope that someone will magically walk through the door and sweep you off your feet, but the reality is that you have to work at it to become the change you want in your life. You KNOW this is true, even if it isn't the easiest thing to do. But, you have identified the problem, you know that your current environment is NOT working for you, so there is no reason to continue doing what is not fulfilling to you and NOT making you happy.

Start making a plan right away; tonight is not too soon. Write it out in some detail, preferably on your computer so you can revise it as you collect information and fill in the details. Then start contacting either colleges about enhancing your degree, or specific school districts about their employment web sites (most school systems in metro areas have their job openings online now). Focus in on places known to have a healthy gay community, so that you will have places to go and meet people while you are making the transition to a new job or enrollment in college. You have to be the force for change in your life. You are old enough, wise enough, and good grief, MOTIVATED enough to get out of the rut you have dug yourself into and back into the game. You only get one pass through life, so you don't have any more time to waste being what other people, including your parents, expected you to be, or think you currently are. Be your authentic self now. If you believe you can, you can do it; if you believe you can't, then that is what will happen. Either way, it is your choice to determine your own future. *I* believe you can, because you have already jumped the first hurdle of figuring out what the problem is, you know who you are, and you know you want more for yourself. That is all it takes. Please keep us informed as you start taking the steps you need to change your life for the better, and tell us about your first gay date when it happens, so we can give you one of these (&&&) and one of these (!)

4. The Lost One

Thanks for the replies Yossarian and Coinshot. What you both said makes sense and Yossarian, your 'flight idle' analogy really resonated with me. At the moment I feel like someone has thrown a bucket of cold water on me and I'm thinking 'What the #$%# have I been doing all this time?". I realize that life is finite. I think I used to believe that somehow 'the rest of my life' was a while away and that things would just work themselves out. I now realize that 'the rest of my life' is now. Also, nothing will change unless I make it happen. I just don't know how to go about making the change.

I mentioned a career change in my earlier post. I like my job. It can be stressful at times so that does affect me. However, I also think that if I had someone to come home to and share my evenings with, the stress would be reduced. The thought of giving my job up is hard for me to swallow. All of that education, money, substitute teaching, first contract, then permanent contract, means something to me. I also just got a teaching award at the end of last year, which felt nice. At the same time, schools are some of the most homophobic places out there. In elementary schools being gay doesn't really come up but it does once in a while and it's usually not a positive comment on the students' part. Middle Schools and High Schools have Gay/Straight Alliances which help students and staff become more open.

So, I'm trying to come up with my next move. I would love to just move to Toronto and see what happens but I can't really afford it (or want to take the risk). So, I thought about heading back to Asia for a year and banking some money (easy to do) and then furthering my education in a city somewhere in back in Canada or go into a new field altogether. Specifically, I was thinking of Hong Kong because I've lived there before and it has a fairly vibrant gay night life. I probably wouldn't be 'out' at work but I think I could have a decent social life.

Then, there's the part of me that just wants to say 'screw it' and start telling everyone I'm gay here and let the chips fall where they may. My parents have already said they don't care. I just would be concerned for my nephew. He's 7 years old and lives nearby. I would hate for him to be teased about his gay uncle. Trust me, he lives in a small town, it's very likely if I still lived around here and was 'out'.

It's report card writing time and my brain is mush so it's hard for me to think clearly at the moment (lack of sleep, too much caffeine).

One question I have is this: I know I have to be gay because I know what I like and what I don't like sexually. However, I have never 'done' anything gay. Should I just go 'get it on' with someone to see what it's like? It's not really in my personality to hook up with a stranger however...I feel like I'm getting to that point. Thoughts? Thanks again for your comments.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One question I have is this: I know I have to be gay because I know what I like and what I don't like sexually. However, I have never 'done' anything gay. Should I just go 'get it on' with someone to see what it's like? It's not really in my personality to hook up with a stranger however...I feel like I'm getting to that point. Thoughts? Thanks again for your comments.

BY all means you should "get it on" with somebody whom you find attractive, if nothing else but to confirm what you feel is right for you. Everyone you have not met yet is a stranger, but there is no reason you shouldn't be out meeting new people and trying to find someone who is also gay; whether you want to begin your experiments with gratuitous sex or after building a relationship of some kind is up to you, but you are certainly old enough to go out looking for companionship in as many different ways you have available to you. You are probably going to have to force yourself out of your "comfort zone", since you have isolated yourself for so long, but I think you will decide that all of the efforts to do so were worth it the first time you have an intimate experience with someone you discover who is feeling the same about you. Remember, we are "guys"; we don't need a reason to have sex, all we need is a willing person and a place. :icon_bigg

6. Coinshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Regardless of what you choose, I say you should choose what you want to do and plan out things accordingly so that you can take action! You said that Toronto is pretty much out because of the huge risk/cost, so I say it's not wise to try and go there as bad finances/lack of a job don't exactly help with stress/goals/getting things out of life. So you can either stay where you are and try to save up money, or you can go to Asia and save up money. It seems to me that if you're not happy where you are and have been abroad before, Asia is a good bet. Even if you're not "out" at work, a more satisfying social life and an environment you're enjoying is definitely a big plus. I'd just say the most important thing when making life decisions like this is to just have a plan of action and be realistic. Taking a few calculated risks along the way is also a very important thing if you want to make those plans happen. Choosing whether or not to give up your current job is one of them.

This. Even if you don't just want casual sex, that doesn't stop you from looking for companionship.

7. canadaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Lost One!

I relate to your story so much!!! I'm 27 and have only personally accepted the fact that I'm gay in the last year or 2 but have known on some level since I was early teens. I completely understand understand the whole small town thing and it also sounds like we're from the same part of Canada (based on your Toronto/Montreal comment). I think that you should do what makes you happy because after all that is what life is about!! I totally get that you can't picture coming out to everyone because its scary...i just came for the first time ever 2 days ago to one of my best friends and she was so supportive.....i have had so much anxiety for a while now about coming out and it was the most difficult thing I have ever said to someone but my god what a relief it was to talk openly about it afterwards. If you have one friend that you know will be totally supportive and keep your secret to themself until you are ready to maybe someday take the next step and come out to more people then I recommend it because it is a huge weight off your shoulders!! Good luck!!

8. The Lost One

Hey Canadaman,

Thanks for the reply. Judging from the info under your name, you're in Ontario. I'm in the Maritimes. Ontario, on the whole, seems a bit more liberal than the East Coast but I'm sure you have your pockets of rednecks as well.:icon_bigg

I do have friends who would probably be completely cool with me being gay but I feel like once 'the cat is out of the bag' so to speak, there's no going back. I really don't want to always be known as 'the gay guy'. Though, I suppose with my parents knowing it's probably only a matter of time before they say something to one of my siblings (I asked them not to). And actually, a large majority of people have probably already wondered at least once if I'm gay or not. So, I know the only one I'm hurting is myself by not coming out. Intellectually, I know this but emotionally it's something else.

Lately, I'm really feeling like I've wasted so much of my life. To some people, I've done a lot (gotten an education, travelled around the world, developed a career). But really, there's so much I've missed out on. I guess I'll just have to look forward and not focus on what's already gone. Because really, there is NO WAY I could have come out back in high school and actually, I still thought I liked girls then. Because, I did have feelings for certain girls. It was just never sexual. I used to have a poster of Cindy Crawford in my room. Try as I might, she never 'did it for me'. Sorry Cindy. :icon_wink

What I have done over the years is find these awesome, beautiful women who (now that I look back on things) probably thought our relationship was going to lead somewhere. We would go to events together, watch movies, etc. However, I just kept them at arms length until they eventually moved on and found a boyfriend. I used to think the reason we never hooked up was because they just wanted to be friends or that I wasn't attractive. However, I eventually realized it was because I would never 'make a move' because ultimately, I knew it could never go anywhere.

I tend to ramble on this forum but it's a good place to 'think out loud'. Because, at this point I'm not ready to have these conversations with people I know. I appreciate you guys taking the time to read what I'm writing.

Canadaman, I'm glad you had a good experience coming out to your friend. I feel like I need to come out to my brothers and their wives (we are chummy) before I tell my friends. Let me know how it goes if you tell your family members!

9. The Lost One

So, a little update (for those who have been reading this thread). Tonight I came out to a friend of mine. This marks the first person I've told on my own (my parents basically forced it out of me grudgingly). She was fine with it and very supportive (as I knew she would be). She's also a teacher in my district and thinks I would be A-Ok to come out (she's from the small town where I teach so she knows the community). She assures me it's not as backwoods as I think it is. She thinks I will only get positive reactions from most people I tell. She also told me that she knows quite a few gay teachers in our district.

My next step is to tell my brothers and their wives (my parents already know). This is going to be the hard part. It's difficult for me to find the right way to talk to them about it.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good about how the 'coming out' went tonight. My friend had a lot of good advice to offer. She's also offered to take me to the gay bar (where she often goes even though she's not gay). I told her I will probably take her up on that after I tell my brothers.

Thanks again for all of the support I've received on this forum. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes with the rest of my family.

#9 The Lost One, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to see you are making some positive moves and seen how it is not as big a deal as you were worried it might be. As you come further out, you will probably find other people who have been keeping their secrets as well, who will become open with you, and this will extend your range of options about things to do and people in your area to do it with. The main thing for you now is to stop being ashamed of yourself for being born what you were; then telling your brothers will not be so difficult, because there is nothing to be ashamed about; maybe not "happy", because your life has been and may be more difficult than theirs, but not ashamed. Hopefully they will support you, once you give them the chance to do so by being honest with them.

11. The Lost One

Update #2

So, I called my sister-in-law and my brother who don't live in the same province tonight. I called them with the sole purpose of coming out but was starting to chicken out. Our conversation about Christmas, books, and movies was starting to wind down. Then I said "Well, I called you for another reason but maybe I should leave it for another night." My sister-in-law said "Why?" Then I said well, "I have something difficult to say and maybe I need some more wine." I said "You know how I've pretty much never had a girlfriend?" She said "Yes". I said "There's a reason for that...if you get what I'm saying." She was very cool and told me that when she was set to marry my brother seven years ago, my other sister-in-law told her that, as part of initiation into the family, she had to ask me if I was gay. My sister-in-law said she 'almost did' but didn't want to embarrass me. She then said "I knew because you're a good looking guy who looks like Adam Levine....and you wear suspenders." I said "I could be a hipster." She said "You're not a hipster."

I have two other brothers and their wives to tell. This sister-in-law said they won't care. She said everybody already 'knows' anyway. She told me that I'm a good looking guy who is a sharp dresser but is perpetually single.

My brother had fallen asleep on the couch. She wanted to know if she should wake him but I told her just to tell him (I don't want to!). I prefer working through their wives.

I don't think I'll mind telling my younger brother and his wife but I think they will blab to everyone. My second oldest brother and his wife have grown a bit conservative over the years, so it will be hard with them (even though it was this sister-in-law who tried to get the other one to ask me if I was gay 7 years ago).

Anyway, we had a lot of laughs and she was completely cool and great to talk with. Feeling good. I'm glad I didn't chicken out. The process has begun so I have to keep on with it.

12. The Lost One

So, my sister-in-law told me that after our wine-soaked conversation that she would tell my brother in the morning (he was sleeping while we were talking). Anyway, she e-mailed me the next day and said that she told my brother in the morning and that his exact words were "Yup, we knew that...would you like a coffee?". So, that feels good. I much prefer the blase reply than him trying to start an awkward heart to heart with me. Two more brothers to go..

13. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

I just found your thread. I am 37, and have not talked to anyone in my family yet, although I am pretty sure that by the time I do, everyone will be like "yeah... tell me something I didn't know." I think this is more or less what is happening to you, which to be honest, makes things much easier.

I would think that the conversation with one's parents is the most difficult, and you have already gone through that (although to be honest, it was kind of crappy of them to ambush you like that, but hey, at least it went well) so you should feel more relaxed about telling anyone else you need to tell.

Keep in mind... there is no law stating you have to tell everyone and their mother. You should only talk to those who you feel should know. The rest of the world does not need to know that you are gay any more than they need to know your shoe size.

Why do you want to leave your hometown? Is it that the people are not accepting or because you are not able to find any relationship prospects? Moving to Asia sounds like an aggressive step, and like you are fleeing from something... what is it?

You sound like a guy who has his act together, with a career and a good reputation, why abandon that? I identify myself with you in many ways, especially the career aspect; my job is pretty much all I have, and I would not put it on the line (along with all the things that come with it) unless I had a fool-proof plan completely laid out.

14. The Lost One

Hi Aquaman,

Thanks for reading my (rambling at times) thread. With regard to your question, I think I might have shelved my plan to move to Asia for the time being. I think the whole idea of coming out was just so overwhelming that the only thing I wanted to do was flee. But really, that's what I've done for most of my 20s (hence, half of my 20s being spent in Asia). Sure, I wanted to go there to travel and teach but part of it was a way to separate myself from reality a bit. I guess by being in Asia, I can be anonymous to a certain degree, which appeals to me.

As for my job, it is important to me. Yesterday, I had a parent come up to me at the school gate at the end of the day because she wanted to tell me that she was mentioning to her son's doctor about how good I have been with her son. The doctor said that this is not the first time she's heard my name and from parents mentioning that I'm a good teacher. I have to admit that it did feel good and made me feel a bit more 'secure'. I don't want to give up everything I've worked for here.

Now that I'm entertaining the possibility of staying here, I've been trawling Plenty of Fish. And, I have to say, the results aren't promising. Not to sound shallow, but I think many of the quality fish moved onto bigger cities in their 20s. The ones that are left don't really seem to be like me. Anyway, I'm not dismissing it and I guess we do have a (singular) gay bar.

You're 37. I'm 34. So, I'm sure we can relate to each other. When I was still 'straight-ish' (in my head at least), I thought I looked okay for my age and still considered myself to be 'young'. However, now I'm starting to feel a bit insecure because a lot of the online dating profiles are for guys in their early to mid-twenties. I am too old for them. I guess I'm just worried that all of the guys my age have left the area. However, I guess the fact that I'm even entertaining dating is somewhat promising.

Anyway, thanks for reply Aquaman. Please keep on giving me your thoughts as I appreciate hearing things from people, especially from people around my own age. Can I ask who you have come out to so far?

15. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The other 34 year olds are thinking the same thing you are; train has already left the station, good ones are already gone, if they wanted a partner they would already have one, etc etc. You ARE one of the good ones; the good ones are the ones who are left. Keep looking, you are already looking, which is an inevitable part of dating; you will find him if you don't give up.

16. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Hi! I am at work right now, so don't have much time to write a lot, but I wanted to take a moment to keep the conversation going. Several years ago, I came out to maybe four or five co-workers, and it was fine, I just felt like there was no reason for me to be making announcements, so I decided that going forward, if anyone asked, I would say yes, as opposed to me going around telling people who might not even be interested to know. Once in a blue moon I make a comment about some good looking guy or something casual like that, as another way to let people know.

With my family is different, they certainly deserve a more serious talk, but I have not seen the need to do it yet, as I am not in a relationship, so it feels kind of pointless.

I promise to write a more significant reply when I get home tonight. Cheers!

17. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Hello Lost. I promised a more elaborate response tonight, and now I am not sure I can do it, because there is SO MUCH I want to say, and it is very easy for me to get carried away. As soon as I got home, I sat down and started reading the whole thread again, and then again, and THEN again.

Yes, I had to look up to learn where the Maritimes are, and what trawling means (English is not my first language) but now that I'm done -for the third time- I'm sort of perplexed by how similar our experiences are. Pretty much for each paragraph you wrote in your posts, there are things I absolutely relate to.

The way your mind seems to be working is in so many ways like mine used to, and I can see why you feel like you are going nuts; however, know that things are not as bad as your head is making you see them. While there is stuff to sort out and choices to make, please believe me when I say that a HUGE chunk of the hopeless outlook you have right now is the result of a mind working overtime.

I can't believe it has taken me an hour to write these three lines -sigh!

Does the Private Messaging feature work on this thing? I don't think it does.

18. The Lost One

Hey Aquaman,

Yeah, I checked and the Private Message thing doesn't work, or at least not for regular members. By the way, I'd never have guessed in a million years that your first language wasn't English.

I know what you mean about having a lot to say. On these forums you can only really give a one-dimensional view of yourself (otherwise, we'd be writing way too much).

I have to head to work in a minute, but I'll try to write some more 'thought-provoking' content when I get home. Ha ha ha..

19. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Hello Lost. After totally breaking my promise to write something substantial yesterday, I am here to keep my word. Because it would be impossible for me to address everything with the detail I wish I could, for now I will share with you my own experience on the topic of "moving somewhere else." I hope this helps at least a tiny bit.

I grew up in a large city, but when it was time to go to college, we moved to a much smaller city, what you'd call a college town, I suppose. It was during this time I realized I was gay; I was in my late teens, early twenties, and coming out was definitely not an option, mostly because I was still having a hard time accepting myself.

Once I graduated at age 24, I left home and moved to the U.S. My main motivation, of course, was career-oriented, but it also seemed like the perfect time to make a change in my life and start living as a gay man. I live in an incredibly diverse city, culturally speaking; you can find people from pretty much any corner of the world here, and because of that, it is also quite open in many aspects.

Since then, I have been able to accept myself, be comfortable in my own skin, not being "afraid" of being gay, and be with other men; however, I am sure those things happened because time passed and I grew up, not because I moved to another country. What I had seen back then as an opportunity to start with a blank slate as a gay dude (whatever that meant) did not actually happen. I am not interested in running around waving a gay flag any more than I am interested in running around waving the flag of the country where I was born, or the banner of a favorite sports team. I have never wanted to hop from gay club to gay club any more than I would conventional clubs. I don't have a legion of gay friends for the same reason I don't have tons of straight friends. All those things are very easy to do and achieve in a city like Orlando, but at the core, that is not who I am.

You mentioned somewhere that you dont want to be known as "the gay guy;" I came to that same conclusion a long time ago, but for that to be the case, I needed to make sure that I did not make every single aspect of my life revolve around the fact that I am gay. If all I do and think day and night is gay-gay-gay-gay, how dare I expect people not to see me as "the gay guy?" That led me to change my approach to my coming out process, and make other areas in my life the priority, instead of making the gay part of me the driving force behind every one of my decisions. That was exhausting and made me absolutely miserable for a long time.

Sooooo... I guess the point I wanted to make with this, is that you may move to the surface of Mars if you like, but all your habits will move with you, the changes you want to see will likely not happen, and the sacrifices you had to make in order to move, would have been for nothing. Ask yourself what kind of gay man you want to be, how you envision that part of your life, and how it clashes or fits with other aspects of yourself (the teacher, the friend, etc). Does packing, leaving everything, and moving somewhere else really help you further that goal (at a high price) or does perhaps having a more clear vision of what you want to be help you make smaller changes without having to sacrifice so much?

P.S. That preachy rant above makes it seem like I got my life figured out... no way! But I do admit that I have peace of mind. Don't ever think of leaving Canada, dude. Gay marriage, universal health care, and the metric system? Jackpot!

20. The Lost One

Hey Aquaman,

Thanks for giving me some of your background information. I know it's personal stuff but it helps to see where you've come from.

I read what you wrote about 'moving away'. I have to agree with your comments to a great extent. I will still be gay no matter where I go and will still have to deal with it. It's just that I have a friend I did my education degree with lives in Toronto (He came out a couple of years after we graduated). I'm always looking at his pictures on FB with envy. He's always posting pictures of these good-looking, well-dressed guys. They're always out at some function or party. I can see how it would be comforting to have your 'big gay posse'. Still, when I try to picture me in the mix, it doesn't work. I wouldn't say I'm an introvert, but I like small groups and dislike flashiness in general.

There are these two futures I can see for myself. In one, I buy a house outside of the city with lots of trees in the yard, get a dog, and settle down with a nice guy. We invite people over for small parties but most of our friends are straight. In the second, I'm this well-dressed city slicker who's always on the go and heading to parties with other gay people. Neither is probably entirely realistic. I still think I'm struggling with the whole 'being gay' and how that impacts my masculinity. For example, I hate hockey (this should have been a big tip off to everyone in Canada that I'm gay...ha ha ha). I care about my skin, hair, and clothes. At the same time, I'm kind of a sci-fi nerd, my apartment is sort of messy at times, and my personality can be gruff. I don't have a lisp and am not flamboyant (this is a stereotype I know, but in my mind this is what being gay has meant). I should know better with all of the macho gay guys who have come out lately, that there is no one type of gay person.

As for your comment about staying in Canada, you do have a point. When I was looking to leave, I kept googling 'gay friendly countries to teach in'. I always found sites that listed Canada at the top. We have anti-gay discrimination laws and most people are too polite to say anything against gay people even if they disagree with it. The universal health care is nice as well. But you are forgetting one thing...IT'S FREEZING! It was like minus 28 degrees Celsius (-18 F) the other day. My car made the most horrific whining noise when I tried to start it. I'm envious that you're in Florida. I went when I was 12 and had a great time.

I know you said that I don't have to come out to everyone. However, I think once I do come out to my friends and my brothers and their wives, it will spread like wild fire. I don't think they will share this info out of malice but it is a juicy piece of gossip, which would be hard for some to keep to themselves. I have multiple friend/colleague connections. Once my friends know, it would only be a matter of time before the teachers at work know. I would lose it (mentally) if a student asked me. Half of them assume I'm married and the other half have asked me if I am. I know some may say that it's nobody's business (true) but you always have to let the kids know a bit about yourself, otherwise they see you as a boring edubot. I guess I don't have to be that open with them. I would just hope that if their parents found out the school wouldn't get calls asking for students not to be placed in my class. Anyway, maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion.

I'm losing my train of thought so I will stop typing. I will say that I REALLY wish I had chosen another username. The Lost One now sounds very dramatic and emo to my ears. Two words that I would not normally use to describe myself. Oh well, I guess it's how I was feeling when I signed up!