1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ Meeting

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AquaRegia, Nov 25, 2013.

1. AquaRegia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone,

It has been few months since I've joined EC, during which I have been trying to peek outside of the closet. I've come out to few online "friends" but no one IRL.

Tomorrow my school is having an LGBTQ meeting. I have already told my boss I am leaving early to attend a "meeting". Honestly, I don't know what to expect, I've never been to one and I am nervous as heck. Now I am debating whether I should go or not...It's a usual case of chickening out :/

Has anyone been one?

Thanks a bunch,

AR

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Reading through your post reminds me of my first LGBT group meeting that I attended. I was very nervous, and it took me I don't know how many attempts before being able to walk into the office of the group and just sit on one of couches and listen in. But once I was able to go in, after having said to myself, 'this is just becoming ridiculous,' I started becoming a lot more relaxed and realized how much fun it was getting to know other LGBTs.

Most, if not everybody, will have butterflies at their first meeting. Try to take comfort in that every single person that you will be meeting tomorrow at the meeting will have had a similar experience to what you are going through at the moment. That might help you in feeling a bit more relaxed.

Usually during LGBTQ meetings, the group will welcome any new members with a round of introductions, after which there might some discussions about LGBTQ issues or topics, or about events that the group might be planning. Some groups will also use the meetings for more social stuff, including playing cards, board games or watching a movie.

If you find yourself being nervous, take a deep breath, and try to say to yourself: "I want to meet somebody new today."

Give it a try, and see how it goes. :slight_smile:

3. AquaRegia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Mirko, really appreciate the advice.

I don't think this is their very first meeting. I've missed the previous one so I will be the new face in the group. God I hope they don't ask for an introduction to the group...that just adds up to the nerves.

I will get in there and hope for the best. Thanks again :slight_smile:

4. AquaRegia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is an update.

I went there, was much better than I expected it to be. I made new friends...friends I can be myself around them.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
    Cheers

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesomeness! I'm really happy for you that you went, and started to get to know others. That is fantastic!

6. Silver Sparrow