1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someday I'll come out at church

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jinx, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Jinx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really want to come out at church for a few reasons. Mainly because I feel like I'm lying whenever people talk about relationships. People are always trying to get me to meet the new cute guy or tell mehow they told a friend about me. I also don't like that people say negetive thigns about homosexuality because they assume everyone there agrees. This morning for father's day we talked about how importnant fathers are int he lives of children. A dad got up to speek who came from a family with two mothers. He talked about how having a lesbian mother almosted ruined his life. That he never would have grown up "a man" if it hadn't been for his best friend's father. It hurt to hear all this negetive stuff said about gay people having children. They talked about how gay peopel should be able to have children because without both a mother and a father they will enver have a "normal life". It hurt because if only they knew I was sitting there hearing these words like sharp hot knives cuting me deep inside. I'd like to think if I told they might think twice about saying such things. I'm worried though that if I came out peopel would thinkthat I'm looking for help or trying to be saved from sin. I do wish to come out someday. Open their eyes to who just might hear what they ahve to say.

2. Hoppip

Well, they may have God on their agenda. It'd be hard to change their minds. But I think you should anyways. I think they need to accept you. It's not like they can ban you from the church. You have every right to go there. And you can let them know that God doesn't make mistakes.

<3

I believe in you.

3. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Good luck if you decide to come out. It would be very brave. Hopefully if you move to California you might find another Church which is more enlightened.

4. FreddyMercury

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    first of all... I'm from alaska too.. mostly the Kenai Peninsula area..

second of all... coming out to church will be very very awkward. because from my experience, they mostly ignore the elephant in the room. they will all be thinking about it, gossiping about it, discussing about it to everyone else except you. The church members i came out to were accepting and they said it didn't change their point of view on me. it's really all a gamble.

~Trey

5. Gera-Kun

haha, well i wish you luck! :slight_smile: i'm kinda at a "hidden" state in my church. but if someone asks, i'll tell em. i'[m pretty sure lots of ppl suspect tho :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but i don't care...lolz. once again lots of luck to you! :slight_smile:

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm...be careful with that. Don't do anything until you're absolutely certain that coming out to them is the best choice, and even then, have plans in case it doesn't go the way you want it to. Things can get very heated, very quickly with religion and sexuality in the same place.

7. NathanHaleFan

I totally know what you mean... It would certainly make them think twice about saying, "Lord, hear our prayer" when the priest prays for the "defense" of marriage.

8. Emberstone

I think, as a christian myself, that many of the homophobic chirstians are homophobic mainly because if they have something in which to condem someone else as, they cant distract themselves from the faults in their own lives. There are many churches who are open and welcoming to gays, lesbians, and bisexual and transgendered people, so you dont have to give up your faith and church if they arent accepting of you.

You really cant help it if someone reacts by all of a sudden turning on you, that is their problem, and shows their flaws when put up against the teaching of christ, which is about love, tolerance, compassion and humanity. It is hard to change people's mind when they are absolutely convinced they are right, but that shouldnt stop you from being yourself.

Good luck with whatever decision you choose to make, and just know, you have a family here if you need comfort.

9. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Why do I get a feeling thats probably not the best idea?????