1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Step Closer!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by iamsafeandsound, Nov 26, 2013.

1. iamsafeandsound

I came out to my school counselor a little while ago. I spent about an hour talking to her about everything, and how I want to come out to my dad. We both agreed I should wait til I'm in college to avoid the "You're too young to know what you want" speech. She suggested that I write him a letter and have him read it when I want to come out because it would probably be easier for me than saying it and breaking down. Any other suggestions?

2. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my opinion,
    I believe that if you are ready to come out to your dad and you feel comfortable with doing it, you should do it. Coming out can be a great experience, and you will never know your dad's reaction until you do come out to him. You could also send him an email or just tell him in person when you are ready. The most important thing is to not hide who you are and just be yourself.

3. CthulhuFhtagn

Half an hour out from the middle of nowhere.
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I sent my dad an email. That seemed to work pretty well, because it gave me time to really think about wording and such, and it gave him time to think it over before he replied.
    I told my mom face-to-face, and I could tell she was floundering for words. I think she thinks its a phase or that I'm too young to know, and I feel like if I could have had a more planned course of action, she'd be more convinced.

Whatever you do, make sure you feel really comfortable about yourself, your dad's prospective reaction(s), and the method you're using.

Hope I helped!

4. iamsafeandsound

Thanks guys! I do think I'm gonna wait a little while until I've hit the point where my parents think I know what I'm doing a little more. I mean, I've been this way all my life but they're a little more conservative so.
    I was thinking of writing my dad a letter and like. Not sending it to him but giving it to him in person, having him read it, and then writing something back. I feel like it'd be easier that way.

5. Robben

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my family. Their advice was to go slow, but not to deny the opportunity for same sex relations. They were used to a person whose values were in line with their moral values. They feel I am transitioning between stages of my own homophobia. It was as though they didn't count on my same sex relationships to be intimate. You did the right thing. I believe there are two stages to coming out. One is in the admission of orientation. The second is how you show same sex intimacy in a way that means you are involved. I've had to learn that my being gay is not a debatable circumstance brought on by stress, that I choose to discover myself in partnership with other gay men. In a way to express what I find pleasurable and enjoyable with a gay love.