1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So close

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by akram12, Nov 26, 2013.

1. akram12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys and gals,

I'm in my final year uni and I've finally decided to come out to some close friends. I've got two friends that I'm particularly close to and I'm pretty sure they'd both be cool about it. One of them is my housemate and it would make more sense to tell him first. The problem is I can never find a good way to bring up the topic. Even today I was in his room and we were just talking about random stuff like we usually do and then he started talking about relationships and some girl he likes. I thought about steering the conversation into coming out but I can't think of any non-awkward way to do so. I guess my problem is I want it to come up naturally as opposed to suddenly going "surprise! I'm gay!" but that's probably never going to happen. Anyway, if anybody's got some advice on how to bring the topic up in a not too embarrassing way then that would be much appreciated.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have come out to several people already and, most of the time, I never had to say the words "I'm gay".

Here's some alternatives:

I've decided that it's time for me to come out of the closet.

You know James, right? (you both know he's gay), well he and I have something in common.

I think I'm into dating guys.

I'm sure our friends here at EC can come up with other ways [that's a challenge folks!]

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! :slight_smile:

I wonder if you are trying too hard. Thinking about how to come out, and about the missed opportunities, might make you even more nervous. You already know they would be cool with it. So, how would you feel about just mentioning it causally that you would like to have a boyfriend at some point? Or you could ask one of them or both: 'do you think there is a good LGBT group or club that I could check out sometimes?'

By being casual about it and taking the position that your friends already know, allows you to create the opportunities to come out. :slight_smile:

4. Delfi08

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    tell them you have something to tell them and then walk in the closet and walk back out, it will be less awkward because its funny

5. Lolachan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm wondering if I should have a coming out party?

(Everyone likes a party!)

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

Keep 'em coming! :icon_bigg

7. akram12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol, I wanted a non-embarrassing way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I probably am over thinking it. I'm going to find it awkward what ever way I bring it up so I might as well go for it.

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still like T-Shirts for these kind of casual general announcements. Sometimes all it takes is a well placed rainbow or 6-color flag across your chest to get the message across non-verbally. There are a zillion different graphics available from subtle or funny, to "in your face". All you have to do for your housemate is start wearing the T-shirt as your casual around-the-house shirt and let him start a conversation about what it means after he thinks about it for a while. It might also make you feel "outer" just by wearing it.

Attached Files: