1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waiting to come out!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by walshy222, Nov 27, 2013.

1. walshy222

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone,
    So recently I have just accepted the fact that I'm gay and to be honest that in itself feels great as I have been a bit depressed for the last few years deliberating whether I was or wasn't and hoping for the latter. To finally accept it though seems to be a big step for me and I don't seem to be as worried anymore, I am who I am and people are just going to have to deal with that!
    That said, I still am unable to come out! I am waiting and waiting for the right time to do it and keep putting it off saying "I will do it next week, next month, next summer etc etc". I am 23 and going back to college next september, and thinking the best thing to do would be to wait until then and just have a completely fresh start with everything. With Christmas coming up and all the parties etc I will be going to with my friends, for the moment I just think it would be easier and less awkward to stay in the closet.
    I have come to the realisation that I really don't care anymore what people are going to think and that I need to live my life the way I want to live it and not by anyone else's rules, however, that said, my only worry is the fact that I have lied to people in the past and acted completely straight with all my guy friends saying things like "nice ass" etc when seeing good looking girls just so they would not suspect anything. So for one they might feel that I have been a liar for the last few years (although I am sure some of them will understand why) and also worried about EX-GIRLFRIENDS! I am sure (one in particular) will be very shocked at me coming out and also a bit angry with me for lying to her for so long, I myself don't think it was fair that I stayed with her that long just to conceal my sexuality, although I did/do really care for her still but just not in that way and I don't want to hurt her, or humiliate her in anyway.
    So basically just looking for any advice on any of this as I do see loads of good advice and feedback from people on this site. Is it a good idea to wait another while until I start college to come out?

**Also I have a friend (a girl) who has lived next to me all my life but moved city 2 years ago for college, I talk to her regularly and trust her with just about anything to be honest, thinking of telling her now but not sure. Really just want to tell her so I will have someone to talk about it too but I just cannot imagine how I am going to say the words "I AM GAY" to someone who has thought I was straight all my life (I think she has anyway :slight_smile:).
    How do you say this to someone, I am nervous now even thinking about it as I write this!

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

#1 walshy222, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this might conceivably make your life easier.

You've accepted it as part of yourself. Great! Now go live it. If you happen to find yourself a boyfriend, THEN you can worry about needing to tell people. Next time someone asks, try and be honest, but you don't owe anyone an explanation.