1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I THINK im ready....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by livi, Nov 27, 2013.

1. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a lesbian and all my closest friends know that.. but i feel as though i need to tell my parents because every-time i talk to them it lurks in the back of my mind that I'm keeping a secret from them... I know im going to send an email but i have one HUGE issue...

My nerves.

please note: my parents are not homophobic in the slightest and my mum has even said "if one day you said to me that you liked girls i would be completely ok with it" .... the actual issue is ME :icon_sad:. Every time i think to myself "im going to hit the send button and email my coming out letter" i always get so shaky and nervous that i can't do it and it always ends this way.
    its just a constant cycle of guilt, courage then nerves and i hate it.. my main two questions are

1) what is the best time to tell them?
    2) how can i get over these nerves that stop me from telling them?

thank you (&&&)

2. MyChemRomance

The thing is, email isn't always the best option for coming out. Parents usually like to hear it face to face. Tell them when it's quiet, when they're in a good mood. If you think they'll react fine, you can also add some humour and close yourself in a closet and when they pass by, open it up, walk out and say 'I'm gay!'

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in school 2000 miles away from home and knew I wanted to tell them on my last trip home. I wasn't sure when to do it but pretty much the second I got off the plane I had butterflies in my stomach and wanted to do it at the first opportunity we were all together and not surrounded by extended family or having to deal with my jet lag. And I did. I was really nervous but felt so much better having gotten it out.

4. leer

if you feel ready to tell them them. I would personally do it in person they will understand your nervous about it . I told mum & dad @ 16 I was really worried thought they would be disappointed but they were brilliant .

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You already know what her reaction is going to be; she said that if you told her you liked girls she would be completely OK with it. She already knows you are gay; you are out already; that is what she was trying to tell you without forcing your hand. Tell her and get the hugs she is waiting to give you. The best time to tell her is right away. You don't really need to take anything for the "nerves", because you don't have any thing to worry about.