1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous to Come Out to Best Friend of 4 Years

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MyChemRomance, Nov 28, 2013.

1. MyChemRomance

So, my best friend of four years (almost five) is coming to my house tomorrow. We're going to go to the mall and then she's staying at my house for a sleepover. I've told my mum that I'm gay, but my friend doesn't know. I fear that she'll take the sleepover part the wrong way if I come out to her (which I will, because she'll ask about my boyfriend, who I broke up with awhile back, I never told her I broke up with him). She's a very accepting person, and I don't have a crush on her, either. I'm just plain nervous. Any advice to calm my nerves?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may be hard for her at first if she never suspected you, but chances are she will accept it because you've been friends for so long.

3. MisterLW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just recently I came out to my best friend, who is a guy, and I don't have a crush on him either. It was just fine, and I still hang out with him all the time. As long as you trust this friend of yours (which I assume since you have been friends with her for years), she's bound to understand. I doubt that it will ruin the sleepover.

When I told my friend, we only talked about it for a little bit, but everything went back to normal a few minutes later. It was almost like I didn't even come out. Just be prepared for questions like "How do you know?" or "How long have you been like this?"

4. lovely lesbian

If you trust her which I'm guessing you do then tell her she is your best friend at the end of the day and I hope she supports you xx

5. ninerw

One thing I know about best friends is that they are close for a reason. Fact of the matter is, if she is your best friend and you have shared parts of your life with her, regardless of it being about your orientation, then she should be comfortable with who you are. You've obviously taken a giant step in the right direction because you have told your mom. Now it's all downhill from here. Just be yourself and show that this doesn't change who you are.

6. EscapeArtist

Mhm, I recently did the same thing though my best friend is male so this eliminated the mistaken jump women often make when their FRIENDS reveal their sexuality to them. I was terrified, as he is a convicted Christian, but he was remarkably calm. This made me uneasy as I knew he was thinking. When I stood up to reach for a drink in a fit of anxiety, he said, "It doesn't change the way I feel about you." I feel the discussions I've had have been more difficult for me than the listener almost 100% of the time. Feel it out. Find the language. It will be just fine. :slight_smile: