1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeping In Class

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Grof142007, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Grof142007

Ok i go to school 20 hours a week

and i work around 40hrs a week( and im part time) from 4pm -12ish

i usually get home around 1 and fall alseep at 2 then 4hr later i get up at 6 to go to school.
    my class are 5hrs long 8am-1pm and i can stay awake for about an hour then i start to nod off and end up sitting in class learning nothing

so Summary

6am -1pm School
    1pm - 3pm - getting ready for work (going home to get work clothes)
    4pm- 12:30am - Work
    1am -2am - trying to fall aplseep
    2am - 6am - sleep
    Rinse Repeat

i usually have like 2 days a week where im off

got any tips on how i can stay awake in class( Trust me the hawt guys isnt helping me stay awake i got 2 to google at)

i really do think it starting to affect my grades only thing is i need the $$ so i can help out. im exhausted

guess that 14hrs trip to the water park is still tiring me out ( i slept from 8pm to 12pm the next day)

also i eat like once a day i ususally dont eat at home unless i mange to let me mother know im hungry i usually just wait till i get to work to eat but i dont like to eat there because it bad 4 u. also it usually really hawt so i avoiding eatting or drinking soda so i wont get sick cause of the heat.

I hope that made sense seeing im half sleep in class right now. thnks for any advice

#1 Grof142007, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Kat22

I can relate. I coach from 5:45am-8:00am, work one job from 8:30am-2:30pm, do homework for my online classes from 2:30pm-5:00pm, then work my second job from 5pm-close (which is usually between 11pm-midnight) I too don't really have time to eat much either.

What I do to stay awake:
    -All extra time I have is spent sleeping.
    -I don't drink a lot of energy drinks or coffee, so that I don't become dependent upon them. Instead I drink things like gatorade or powerade so that I keep the electrolyes in my body.
    -I drink a lot of fresh fruit smoothies. If you are like me you have time to drink stuff, but not really to eat. This keeps nutrients in your body, and they are super healthy and super yummy!
    -Take a cool shower in the morning before you go to class. This will help wake you up.
    -Chew gum. Sounds dumb, I know, but it is keeping you doing something while you are in class, therefore helping your body stay awake.
    -Practice good posture in class. The more slouched you are in your seat, the easier it will be to fall asleep.

I hope some of this helps! Good luck with everything you have going on right now!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>got any tips on how i can stay awake in class.

Yeah, cut your work hours. Not a lot. Just see if you can get off at 11 or so.

Lex

4. sexyalex

something in this summary dosn't sound right...
    :rolleyes:hummmmmmmmmmmmm.........................

OH:eusa_doh: of course! when do u get ready for school and when do u eat?!
    i mean a big boy like u must have his protein right?

btw....sleeping in class isn't soo bad if u make time to read ur text when ur at home. It's what i do atleast.

5. SlickyPants

My situation was a little different. I worked about 80 hours per week. The nice thing was that my days off fell on different days...

Job 1: Monday - Friday
    Job 2: Wednesday - Sunday.

So for four days of the week I had an extra 8 hours to sleep so it wasn't so bad.

I drank a lot of coffee. It got me through my day but I'm think Kat22's advice is probably better. It never took me an hour to try to get to sleep. I was out as soon as I hit the mattress. I never had any personal time. It was all spent sleeping. The odd time I slept during my lunch break. I brought an egg timer so it would wake me up in 30 minutes. Sometimes I slept on the bus. On more than one occasion I missed my bus stop but woke up soon enough to realize this and I was fortunate to only have to walk a block or two.

If you have your own vehicle or if it's possible to borrow your parent's that's great. Taking the bus probably stole an hour of my day due to transit. I suppose working is a little easier because I was doing something and it kept my mind occupied. I would probably fall asleep too if I had to listen to someone drone on for hours.

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is the best idea. Or if you can't shave hours off per shift, maybe take one shift less per week. Or failing that sleeping more during your off days.

And see about eating better.

As far as tips to stay awake... I never fell asleep in class until I hit university. I just sleep during the ones that I get nothing out of, and have coffee before the ones that matter.

7. agraves

This is totally off this topic but I see people write about university a lot...is that the equivalent to college in the states?

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Grof142007

thnks guys for advice alex i usually eat while im at work i get ready for school at like 6:15am -6:30am

Kat

Yea plenty time to drink someething but never to eat I think im going with ur advice now to just to fid smoothies. and i know about the gum it amazing how it help u stay awake. ugh i have horrible posture

thnks again

10. Bryan90

I don't know what to say.. Usually when I have that kind of schedule, I'd just sleep in class..which I still do even in University. :bang:

But there is a way to do it without missing what the Lecturer is saying.. Somehow when I sleep, I am listening subconsciously, and if there is something I don't understand, I'll lift my head, look at the white board, digest whatever he/she is saying, and subsequently collapse to sleep again until my subconscious mind wakes me up! lol!

Maybe it'll work for you too!!! I know.. I am a bad advisor..

11. Grof142007

:roflmao: i love it

12. Grantious

Hey hey,

Just a small suggestion but if u drink caffeine cut down before bed because it can reduce you're quality of sleep. Make u way tired.. i kno from experience

xoxo.

13. -Michael-

2 words 1 brand....

Red bull

Drink three and you'll be hyper...
    when the hype is over you'll need the loo
    LOL hold it in... That'll keep youn awake

14. Grof142007

OMg it worked kinda like he was talking and i was hearing it but im sleep next thing i know he like run a command prompt and im wide awake doing it .. weird :confused:

Edit:OOO BUSTED MY teacher just called me out on sleeping in class yikes so yea so he now getting the hottie beside to to shake me when i start falling alseep i dont know if that a good or bad things Yikes

#14 Grof142007, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  15. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The maximum amount of Red Bulls recommended is two per day, so it probably isn't a good idea to drink more than that.

16. Grof142007

yea or ill fall asleep and wet my self then totally embrassment

17. -Michael-

I have like 5 a day... Oh well

I heard about the kid who died because he had nine...

18. SlickyPants

I wouldn't recommend overdosing on Red Bull. I did something really stupid one day in college. In addition to about a pot of coffee I also popped about 6-8 caffeine tablets (200 mg each) and chased them with several cans of Dr. Pepper. I ended up running to the bathroom and puking everywhere. I felt like shit too.

It was (and sometimes still is) a common occurrence to drink a pot of coffee every day and I think it has messed me up permanently. My fine motor-skills are screwed up. When I service computers I find it difficult to use a screwdriver (e.g. installing a new HDD). I also work in a Liquor Store and I find it very difficult to gift-wrap bottles of wine (particularly tying ribbons)

19. Johnnieguy

Yeah, the rest of the world calls college "uni".

However, in the US there is a clear distinction between "college" and "university".

College refers to a school where there is only ONE college (ie, college of arts and sciences). UNIVERSITY refers to an institution with MULTIPLE colleges (ie, college of arts and sciences, school of business, college of medicine, seminary/theology, college of food, agriculture, and natural resources, etc) Make sense? We've just grown up in a society that refers to any institution conferring 2 or 4 year degrees as "college".

20. fringelunatic

Ahh, that explains a lot. It's a pretty foreign concept too, just about every university (tertiary education institution anyway) would have arts, natural sciences, and social science faculties. I can't think of any exceptions - there may be a few - but yeah, a university is where you go when you're 18ish to get a degree.