1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY COMMING OUT LETTER!! (is it ok??)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by livi, Nov 29, 2013.

1. livi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, a lot of it is copied from the "coming out letters" section but this it it:

Dear Mum and Dad,

I'll start off by saying that I am so lucky to have you as my parents. You have been nothing but supportive to me for all of these years. I love you, and I hope that my actions reflect these sentiments. But for the past few years, I have not been completely honest with you, and I feel guilty every time I lie to you. This is very hard for me to do, and I hope you will forgive me for not telling you sooner, Just so you do not get worried everything is alright. I am more than alright. For the first time in a long time I am truly happy. I love both of you so much that I can not truly express how I feel. What I want to tell you is that I'm gay.

I've known for quite a while now that i liked girls.. in fact, one of the main reasons both connor and will dumped me was because i felt so awkward and wrong kissing them that i eventually just started to avoid kissing them, which i know now was a stupid thing to do and i should have just told them how i felt instead of just pretending but at that stage i was so deeply trapped in denial that i felt that if i forced myself i would eventually like them and it wouldnt be awkward..and that if i waited long enough and found the "right" boy i'd fall in love/get married ect.. I was so in denial i even googled "how to be straight" because i was so desperate to not be gay.. It took me a long time to come to terms with it.. and now i know that even the nicest boy on the planet couldnt change my sexuality. Its just pointless for me to keep pretending to everyone that i want a boyfriend.it took me a while, but I now realize it isn't a choice and I will have to live with this my whole life, not that this is a bad thing either, it is just different. I really hope you don't hate me, for there is enough of that in the world, and I need as much support as possible.

I know deep down you are probably very upset with me right now and also very hurt, I am too. But this is something that has been stuck in my mind for a very long time now and I no longer want to be depressed about it, there are many times these past few years when I have deeply considered running away because i felt disgusting and I didn't want to come to terms with this... Yes. I was rock bottom, and I was so filled with depression and self loathing that I was contemplating the unthinkable, and it was pretty much "own up to it, or don't go on living." That's when I told my friends.. they were so supportive of me and i was so surprised... Theyve known for a year now and they continue to be as supportive as ever. I was debating whether to tell you because I am scared to death of your reaction... But I think it is important to include you in all aspects of my life. And I don't want you to feel betrayed in any way for me not telling you. I love you and although right now you may feel otherwise about me I just want to let you know this has nothing to do with how you have raised me as a person. This is no ones fault, if anything you have helped to show me how everyone should be treated equally and fairly and be loved no matter what.

The reason i'm telling you now is that many gay people only come out when they're 18 or 20, having gone through a miserable teenage life. I have had a taster of that these last few years and I don't want to ruin the rest of my teenage life by doing that. I also want you to know nothing will change in the way I am as a person. I am still and always will be your loving caring girl youve known for 15 years. Just because of this, it doesn't change me; I don't plan on running around in spandex and waving the gay pride flag. But I am hoping to be able to start living for my own happiness, and I hope that you and the rest of the family will be able to accept that. You both have loved me more than any parents could love their daughter. This is just who I am. I do not know why it took me this long to come to the realization that I am gay and I am not going to look back and ask why. It is just the way that it happened.

I'm actually crying as I write this. I'm so sorry and I really hate myself. I still love you both so much though and I hope my actions demonstrate that. I'm not doing this to hurt you or shock you and i would be heartbroken if you blamed yourself for this.. I wish I wasn't saying it. But I want to be honest with you, and I hope that you will continue to be as supportive as you always have been, and can try to understand some of what I have been going through. Like I said, I'm still the same person I always was, I'm just finally being honest with you and myself. This letter is disgustingly hard for me to write since I feel terrible about having to do it. Not because I don't want you to know, but because I am afraid, trembling in fact. I have so many worries rushing though my brain right now about everything but mostly is the hope I have that you will accept me and love me still and know I, no matter what, will still love you both as much as ever before.

I am so sorry for having to do this and I hope you don't feel burdened by it, but I feel it necessary so as to not have to talk with you and feel although I am lying or hiding some terrible thing. Even though it is an everyday thing not to be ashamed of. I want you, and everyone, to always be apart of my life and I hate having to do this though it is for the better in the long run.

im sorry i told you this over letter but i know that if i tried to tell you in person i wouldnt be able to say it right and i would end up talking too fast.
    Anyway, Like I said before, I love you two so much. You both have always been there for me. This is another reason why I have found it so difficult to tell you until now. I am so sorry if this causes you any pain... If you have any questions just ask me. Like always I will be as honest with you as I can. Just let me know...

Love from,
    Olivia Xxx

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so proud of you for getting to this point. It's a really, really hard and courageous thing that you're about to do.

Do you know for sure that they're going to react negatively? Your assumption that they will is definitely coming across in this letter. That's the only bit of feedback I have.

3. Anonymous

Your letter was amazing. It acually has inspired me to right one to my friend. Thankyou!

4. lovely lesbian

That is an amazing letter

5. UK_guy

This is a great letter :slight_smile:

6. D43054

It brought tears to my eyes... You're a wonderful daughter.

7. gaywill13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is so beautiful, it has inspired me. Thank you

8. phoebe

This letter is amazing I wish I had to the guts to come out like you

9. Bast

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow. That was a very deep and personal letter. You used pathos in a very compelling manner. If your parents don't accept this - and you - then I would be shocked. I would be wary of the possibility that they take you to a therapist based of what you've mentioned, but it's a small price to pay. However, there are quite a few grammatical errors that you should fix. Capitalisation of "I" and the "c" in Connor/ "w" in Will, just in the first part stand out to me. The double periods are also something that you should fix. Either make them singular or change them to ellipses if you prefer that style.

But overall, that is a brilliant letter. Great job. And for you, having the guts to come out like that.