1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out at an all boys school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gollum1414, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Gollum1414

hey guys/girls

i am wondering if i should come out to my friends at school but i'm not sure if i can trust them with something like this i mean they make gay jokes but i'm noot sure if they accept gay people, also there is a guy i like but i'm not sure he even knows i exist

#1 Gollum1414, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  2. Saint Otaku

I'm not familiar with private schools, but from my understanding, they are usually religious. With that in mind, I would use caution in coming out -- while I believe coming out is itself very healthy, the side-effects from a hostile environment are not so...

But either way, use your good judgement and good luck!

3. catboy

I went to a private school, and coming out in one is super rough. I would say make friends with the guy you like but coming out in that enviroment is probably not the best. Good luck!

4. Mzansi

Having seen a plethora of scenarios where people have come out in all boys schools,
    I'd advise you to be careful,
    And to remember that in an all boys environment,
    The notion of 'gay' is usually poked with a stick,
    And quite frankly can turn out for the worse when the 'wrong' people get to know first,
    Much like a mob mentality.

Though you never know,
    I wish you the best of luck!

5. doors

I went to an all-boy catholic school and when I came out I got nothing but support. I hope it will be the same for you!

6. Coinshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I also went to an all-boys Catholic school. There were one or 2 people who came out in our school and there was mostly support, as the school always stressed the Christian values of loving your brother and treating people with respect. They also challenged the students to see things from different perspectives.

I think it really just depends on the general environment and values emphasized in your school, regardless of whether it's all-boys/religious or not. If they're pretty conservative or people usually speak negatively of gays (harsher than the standard "haha, what are you, gay?" or "that's gay" comments), then you may want to consider things very carefully.

7. gayphdstudent

I agree with the other posts here, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesnt. From my experience with schools, its sometimes tough fitting in etc and coming out might make it tougher on you. I do agree that it may be healthy for you, but once done you wont be able to undo it if things start to go badly for you so i agree that you need to consider the possible consequences and whether you could deal with the worst case scenario. The good news is that either way, you are bound to get support from this site
    :slight_smile:

8. Silver Sparrow

I go to an all girls school. In the history of our brother school, no one has come out while at the school.

9. xAlexzanderx

If they make gay jokes, they most likely won't accept it at first. And guys that age are somewhat immature so they may tell people. But be as it may if you feel ready and truly trust them, then come out. If you unsure play it safe and feel them out on the subject..

And the guy you like, I'm sure he knows you exist..

~Alex