1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should I come out to first friends of family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dexter Colton, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have finally said to myself that I am gay. I don't know how my parents or my brother will take it. Same with my friends. All of my friends are very supportive and understanding however I don't know how they'll react. Both of my parents are sort of so-so, but my brother is very nice. It's like I'm playing a gem of tug-o-war. When I do come out who should know first . Thanks for any feedback

2. gaywill13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell your friends first, if your friends are friends they'll be fine. But tell your closest first.

3. Etak

I'd say to tell the most trustworthy, supportive, potentially helpful people first. Get the easy ones out of the way before you tackle the harder ones.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see it in your user info, but your age and level of dependence on your parents are really important in deciding how and when to come out to them, if at all.

5. Kreiger

You should definitely go for the people who would be most supportive first, and be very careful about your parents if you're financially dependent on them. Try to do it to one person at a time though, because groups can be intimidating, and its easier to explain it to one person rather than a group of bewildered people.

6. Gingerblond93

Like others said, come out to your best and most trusted friends first. And if your have a close and trustworthy relationship with your brother, you may want to come out to him also. And when your ready to come out to your parents, have your brother with you for moral support. Your brother may be the most important person here. Best of luck and keep us posted.

7. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went for my closest friend in the world first knowing that he would accept it and that I could trust him to a) keep it secret and b) not use it against me. After that success, I told more friends to create a primary support base (about 7 or 8 people) in case my mother (my father's deceased) didn't take it well. That's the best way to go at it I figured, and it has worked wonders so far.

It all depends on if you are dependent on your parents or not. If you are and you think they won't be accepting, it's best to just keep it in until your dependency ends and just tell close friends if you have to tell people. If you aren't, make sure you still have some sort of support base in case you need people to talk to if they react negatively.

8. Bast

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you're dependant upon your parents in any way that you can't afford to lose their support (living with them, they're paying for your rent or tuition) and you aren't very sure that they will support you, then I would recommend waiting to come out to them.

As for friends, if you trust them not to tell people that you don't want to know, then tell them. If they don't support you then you don't want them as friends anyway.

9. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you all so much for the advice closer to next year I'll come out at to some of my friends