1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traditional Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nadski, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Nadski

Nadski Guest

My parents are not exactly homophobic but they're definitely traditional. I've come out to my uncle and he as well as i think my mum won't take it very well. I'm almost 18 years old, i had expectations of coming out during this time, however, the thought is eating me up inside. Everything is going so well with my parents, i've finally started to get along with my mum (as we've always had our differences in the past) and they're so proud of me for finishing highschool. i'm so scared of what's going to happen. I know it could be worse, i know my dad will accept me and eventually get used to the idea. but my mum might not. i've always been scared of coming out in case it effects their marriage or my independence. Is it better that i wait until i am more independent and self sustained in case things go pear shaped? I am also seeing someone (we've been seeing each other for almost 6 months) and i know this will impact my coming out more, as my parents will feel betrayed. HELP!

2. Heun

I've always been told that generally as a rule it's important to ensure your safety and wellbeing on these kind of things, and in this case specifically your independence. If it isn't too much of an issue for you, I would say just wait until you're independent and you don't have to worry about that debacle. You are clearly at least somewhat concerned of the ramifications, but you probably know your parents best, so use your best assessment.

3. Nadski

Nadski Guest

I guess it is up to me to assess it, you're right, I know my parents best :slight_smile: thank you for the advice