1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still Trying to Accept Myself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DiamondLucy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. DiamondLucy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So, I'm almost definitely bisexual. The thing is though, I prefer women by a wide margin, and I still feel somewhat guilty about that- in fact, for the past couple months I've been trying to convince myself I'm a lesbian. I don't like thinking that I've made a "choice". I know I didn't choose to be attracted to women, but when I'm still slightly attracted to men, it feels like I have the option of acting straight, and I should choose that.
    Anyway, I want to come out to my parents in the near future, probably sometime soon after Christmas. I know my parents will accept me, and love me no matter what, but the news is probably going to be a bit of a shock (everyone I've told so far has been surprised), so they may not be super accepting immediately. As I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I'm mainly attracted to women, I don't want my parents trying to convince me I'm straight, or pressuring me to date guys, which I'm sure they would do if I came out as bisexual...
    So what do I do? I don't want to delay coming out, so waiting until I'm confident about my sexuality isn't preferable. Should I come out as bisexual, and deal with my parents' issues? Or should I fudge things a little, and imply I'm a lesbian?

2. MountainSound

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say that you should come out with whatever you think your sexual orientation is and explain it to them.

If you really think you're bi then tell them that while you may find a guy attractive every now and then, that you tend to lean more towards women, and that they're going to have to accept that.

I guess place the ground rules down like you've listed here. Explain to them that you don't want to be patronized to go on all these dates with guys and have them trying to convince you that you're straight. Explain to them that you're worried about them having a reaction like this and that you have thought long and hard about it - so they understand that what you're saying is was carefully planned and serious enough that they know you're speaking the truth. :slight_smile:

3. Stillconfusedx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I a in a very simalar situation. I've always been attracted to both guys and girls but have a
    Ways dated guys even in very seriouse relationships. But recently I've lost all interest in guys and have been meeting girls more and more. Most of my close friends pretty much know and accept that I like girls but I have no idea how to bring it up to my family?? I've tried dropping hints, I spend all of my time in gay clubs, I don't dress particularly girly, I bought a Mila Kunis calander and showed it to my mum. Really I just want them to ask me but as of yet they haven't!! ... So what I'm saying is don't such yourself into telling anyone anything, if people ask you the be honest and say something like "I'm not labeling myself I'm just working things out" but if they don't ask then don't feel like you need to disclose your sexual orientation to anyone, it's completely up to you!!!