1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Around The Holidays

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Skov, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Skov

What are everyone's thoughts about coming out around the holidays? I'm not talking like coming out to everyone at a gigantic, Christmas-Eve dinner, but just in general during the holiday season when you are home with family. I'm in college and really only see my family during winter break and during summer so I'm toying with the idea of coming out sometime during winter break. Thoughts?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

i mean i don't see why not; if it's one of the only times you see them anyway i think it's worth considering

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go to school 2000 miles from home and came out to my parents and sister in person on a trip home. Unless you think they're going to kick you out, doing it in person when y'all are together is probably the best way IMO.

4. RainbowMan

You might want to consider doing it near the end of the visit, as opposed to getting out of the car and saying "hey, I'm gay!" If the reaction isn't what you wanted, then the remaining time is likely to be pretty miserable.

Therefore, if you're not 100% positive of the reaction, a great time to come out is near the end of your time together. That way they'll have time to process before summer comes around, and you're in a safe place back at school in the meanwhile.

Of course, if you're dependent on your parents for school, and you think that they might withdraw that support as a result of you coming out, then it would probably be best to wait until you graduated.

5. that is not when I did it, yes I did do it in November but I actually few back to the bay area (did not drive my car (regret that in hind sight 20/20 of course) ) it was about 2 weeks before. Then I told my parents. They told me to go back to my own apartment in LA and not come back ever again.

They did see my girlfriend and I in LA when they were passing through on a trip (train station) about 2 years later but after that it was pretty much just yelling over the phone. It was during one of those that I even found out that my "father" was not even my real father.

6. RainbowMan

Wow, that sounds really bad. (&&&) I'm hoping that the OP doesn't have to go through anything like that (it doesn't sound like it, but you never now).

7. Skov

Thanks everyone that's replied so far!!

I think my parents will be *okay* with it. Like they wouldn't kick me out and I know they would still love me, but I think they would be a little uncomfortable and shocked. It probably would be best to wait till the end of break though

8. animequeen567

9. Yun2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I admitted my bisexuality a week before Thanksgiving. So whether it is a good idea or not, I did it- though it was a spur of the moment type of thing. It sent well enough for me (well, to the ones I told anyway, since I'm not entirely open about it yet).

10. missinggirl

I came out in Holidays year earlier.. It was not easy but my parents understands me, even if the were shocked at first. Yesterday I read a helpfull article, that might be helpful (NOT) LONELY SILENT NIGHT - Outvoyager