1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LongMayIReign, Dec 1, 2013.

1. LongMayIReign

One of my close friends, let's call her G, is moving to Florida on Friday. I know I have to come out to her before then (btw she's super supportive of the lgbt+ community and I'm pretty sure she suspects anyway) so I've been thinking about giving her a letter tomorrow during school and asking her to read it after class. And background knowledge, the Bencident was when this kid in my grade was being harassed over the fact that he is slightly effeminate and then other people got involved and it went overboard. So here's my first draft.

Hi G,
    This isn't exactly going to be an "I'm going to miss you so much, come live in my basement!" kind of letter. Rather, I need to get this bit of information off my chest because I feel as though you deserve to know this about me before you go. A few weeks ago we had "the Bencident", as some of us have grown fond of calling that horrific week, and I realized how much I can trust you. I remember we were sitting at our way-too-small lunch table one day and you kept saying how you don't care what his sexuality is and that you love him no matter what. Even on ask.fm I've seen you go all badass on the kids who keep asking Sam if he's gay, while somehow remaining composed and rational.
    The point I'm trying to get at is probably really obvious by now. I do in fact, really like girls. Most people I tell, I say I'm bi, but I don't care if you know me as bi or queer or gay. I'm only out to a few people, but none of the kids in our grade know. I hope this doesn't change anything between us. If you have any questions, please text me.

Yours Truly,
    [name]

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Heun

Very cool. I actually like the idea of a letter, this is the second such idea like it that I've seen here on EC. Might steal the concept. :icon_bigg

4. oneday004

nice letter

5. LongMayIReign

I feel asleep last night before I had time to write it out, so I just did. It's all nice and neat and in cursive (which I use normally but whatever) and gahhhhhh. I have no reason to fear her reaction and yet I can't stop freaking out. Wish me luck.

6. LongMayIReign

I just gave it to her ... Before we left school I gave it to her and told her to read it in private. A few other kids gave her letters so it wasn't suspicious really.

7. Silver Sparrow

How did it go? Has she reacted yet? She sounds like a very supportive friend, so I'm sure everything will work out.

8. LongMayIReign

4 hours and 1 prompting text later ... No response. And I also left a lot of my homework at school. I'm not having a very good day XP

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2013 at 08:40 PM ----------

Wait! A response! Cue the feels!

"yes I have and I want you to know that it's an honor to me that you trusted me with a such a secret (is it a secret? I'm guessing it is lol) but the fact that you have told me changes nothing between us. You are still one of my best friends who I love dearly. And like I said about Ben and like I would say to anyone else who is gay lesbian bi or any way they identify themselves, I'm proud to call you my friend. I actually wrote you a letter as well ahaha :slight_smile:"

9. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yayyyyy!!!!

(!)