1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zg115, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Zg115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm gay and I have known this for a long time. I really want to come out but, for some reason I just can't. One of my best friends is very liberal, and I know she would support me, but every time I try to tell her, I get too scared and just can't. Then there is the issue of my parents, my mum would be fine with it, but my dad... When i was younger i heard my dad say that he would disown me if I were gay, my mum quickly told him that he should love me no matter what though. Over the years, my dad's attitude has got better slightly, he has got more tolerant of gay people, however he still makes little remarks now and then, and grimaces when a gay couple comes on TV. I really want to be open about my sexuality, but I am scared of the consequences being open would bring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

2. Gingerblond93

Hi, my advise to you would be, when the time is right to confide in your best friend who you know would support you. That would be your first step. Secondly, again, when the time is right and you feel confident, you should sit down and tell your mum. Ask her to be with you when you tell your dad. Your Mum will know when it's right to tell him or not tell him. And it sounds like she will be there to support you and love you regardless.

You don't need to rush this, you should do it when the timing is right. But begin with your friend first.

3. Zg115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks so much for the advice, I really do appreciate it.