1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out (again) to parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Clara, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Clara

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So last June/July (I can't remember exactly) was pretty hectic.

I already knew I liked girls, but I still thought I liked guys. Then I realised that I was gay, and had to work out how to break up with my boyfriend and so on. I broke up with him and told him everything. He's now receiving help for severe depression and suicidal tendencies (he was depressed while we were dating but now he talks openly about ending his life.). Before I told anyone else I thought that it would be best to tell my parents.

It went okay, they were shocked, but they listened. No-one got mad or anything so I thought it went well. They asked if it was a phase (which is their go-to response whenever I am outside the bounds of 'entirely normal'), I said it wasn't. They told me that it still might be and that I shouldn't 'define myself', I just said that I didn't see it that way.

At the time I didn't pick up on any of these clues, and just though. That went well, now lets tell my friends. I waited a couple of weeks until the drama about my mysterious break-up had passed before telling a couple of friends. They were overwhelmingly accepting, one of my friends had even guessed that I was gay previously, so that was weird. They asked if I'd told my parents, I said I had and that it couldn't have gone better. (Because I completely believed that at the time).

Within a couple of weeks I was fed up at keeping myself contained when I had only come across acceptance. I came out to the rest of my yeargroup with astounding success.

Skip ahead to now, and I'm still out at school, and I still haven't had any problems. My situation with my parents, however, is a different matter. It's starting to feel like I never told them that I was gay in the first place. Whenever we talk about the future my dad always talks about my future husband, or future boyfriends. I don't know what to say, he seems so desperate to forget that I'm gay that I'm scared to pop his bubble.

I think this stems from the fact that we used to live in a very suburban town where perfection wasn't just possible, it was expected. Everyone seemed to have perfect families, with two children and a white picket fence. Whenever anything in our family isn't 'perfect' it just seems to get ignored, as if it will somehow vanish, so I don't like dragging up these topics.

Do I need to come out again, or should I just wait it out and see what happens?

Thank you for reading all of this, I'm sorry it's so long,
    Clara :slight_smile:

2. xAlexzanderx

Wait a bit and see what happens, if it remains the same have a talk between them and explain that you like girls and nothing else..

3. biggayguy

I thought I would have to come out again after transitioning from bi' to gay. It seems no one cares too much about my sexual orientation now that my mother is dead.

4. savannah99

This all sounds so frustrating. Maybe you could sort of correct your dad gently when he refers to your future boyfriend/husband. If he says "I can't wait to meet your next boyfriend," be like "How about my next girlfriend?" but say it with a smile so he knows it's all good…does that make any sense?

5. lovely lesbian

That does sound so frustrating I agree see if it carries on and then talk to him.

6. sammy1

^ agreed!