1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to someone who came out to me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HM03, Dec 3, 2013.

1. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So basically, I have this pen-pal that I write to. Last letter he casually told me he was gay (just in a short sentence). We never have talked about personal stuff like this before.

I, personally have only come out to one person, so naturally still really an awkward/weird feeling for me. It seems really tempting to just pretend I'm straight, but since he's gay he'd be a good person to come out to. Would it seem weird to come out to him right after he came out to me?

Sorry, there's not really a question here. Just advice? Things I should say?

2. biggayguy

The first person I came out to was an old friend from grade school. Right after I came out to her she came out to me. You could say something like; "Since we are such good friends I know you would want me to be honest with you. I'm gay." Okay, maybe not that blunt but something like that.

3. Heun

I don't think it'd be weird to mention it, especially since he brought it up. I wouldn't focus on it, like you said he just casually mentioned it, but in your next letter you could say something like "Oh funny, I'm gay too." Just as he did, casually correspond it and move on.

And hey, this might give you something else to talk about, that is to say being gay, coming out stories and so on (although you say you've only come out to one person, so maybe that's not the best example but hopefully you get what I mean). Or not, but I don't think it could hurt to mention it.