1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are grandparents usually like?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ritor365, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Ritor365

Hey, I'm really just more or less curious, but what were your grandparents like when you told them you were LGBT+? Supportive, shocked, angry? I just figured they might be slightly different from your parent's point of view.

I haven't told mine yet, but whenever something LGBT comes onto the TV, my grandpa will usually change the channel immediately, and once told me "gays are sick and need help", so I don't think it'll go over too well with him :/

What about you guys?

2. savannah99

I have never actually told my very Italian, traditional, Catholic grandmothers that I am into girls at all. I think they may actually have a heart attack if I did. But I jokingly mentioned how I'd like to marry this one girl I know, and my grandmother definitely did not think it was funny at all. She gave me a disturbed look and said, "Oh great."

:/ I don't think it will go over well with her at all either, lol.

3. Heun

I myself am actually curious about people's experience with this. I personally don't think it would go terribly well with mine.

4. Summer Rose

Told my grandmother in a letter; the follow-up: every transphobic/cis-gendered response you'd expect. At least she's chosen to forget it, but that don't mean i will...grandfather doesn't know, but hell, sometimes I think he'd be more accepting of it than she was. Oh well, what can you do?

Usually they're quite easy going, but ya know, things can change quite quickly, can't they?

5. sammy1

My grandma once said to me when we were watching a TV show on Spike (lol!) that she thinks lesbians don't actually exist! I didn't say one word to that! I was just thinking to myself 'grandma, ur looking at a real lesbian right now! Those girls on the tv right now are just acting' but I'm pretty sure when my grandma finds out that I'm gay she won't b upset at all, she just may not understand why I like girls and not boys and if that's the case I would simply just say 'I just don't like what guys look like naked, therefore I wouldn't want to b in a relationship with someone I'm not attracted to in every way'

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grandpa has it backwards; he is the one that needs help. Maybe you can help him learn that being gay is as normal as loving your grandson.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never told them, actually. Kept putting it off until I somehow got used to being partially in the closet around family.

Then, one day last year, they just asked if I'd want to take someone with me for Christmas, because most of my cousins were going to invite a date. And then my grandmother added: "It's OK if it's a boy, you know".

I was actually rather shocked so I didn't really explicitly come out even then. I said something like "Well, this year I'll still be alone. Though I'll remember it next year. Thanks for being so broad-thinking!"

Still, I guess they got the message that way. They were definitely rather more casual about it than my mom would be. And since all of my grandparents are very close with each other, I'm sure this had been discussed extensively among themselves earlier.

So... while I never came out to them, they still took it pretty well :wink:

8. nichison

I dunno if I would tell my Grandparents, they seem to be alright with gay people but always call them fags. But not in a derogatory way, just how you would say gay.