1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Are you sure?"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChromeNerd, Dec 5, 2013.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    How do I deal with people that ask me this? I'm afraid to come out because of these people. I'm still undecided on whether I'm attracted to guys or not.

2. Richie.

Me too. Hope you find the answer

3. sysreq

If you think you're x and SOMEONE ELSE

A HUMAN BEING THAT IS NOT YOU

A SEPARATE EXISTENTIAL CONSCIOUSNESS

NEED I ELABORATE FURTHER

says that you're actually y, or are you sure, you do not say "I think I'll reconsider, cause they totally know me better than I do" you say FUCK OFF because nobody has the right to tell you anything about yourself!

There is nothing that pisses me off more than when people try to tell other people about other people's sexuality. Full Stop.

So no, the question is not, ARE YOU SURE, the question is, Why is it any of anyone other than yourself's decision?

It's your life! Take control!!

My apologies if it sounds harsh but seriously it's none of anyone else's decision how you decide/whether you decide/what you decide!

#3 sysreq, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate that too, because for me, my gender is complex. I've been slowly coming out as transgender, and it's hard to find the right answer when people ask me if I'm sure. Sure, I'm sure I've been experiencing body dysphoria, and I'm sure I don't identify with my designated gender. But in a binary world that sees only one or the other, it's hard to explain that I don't identify strongly with either of my two presented options, and harder to then explain that with everything considered, I still want to transition. There's just no one concise word to sum it all up.

It's ok to be unsure, and it's ok to come out as questioning too. A few friends of mine came out as full blown lesbians, only to later turn around and find themselves attracted to a select few guys as well. While one decided she was actually bisexual, and comfortable with it, the other still thinks of herself as a lesbian, because despite the few exceptions she's still predominantly attracted to girls. Both of these responses are perfectly valid ways to try and label their feelings of attraction.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that in the end, labels are just labels. They might not fit you completely, and that's ok. You might adopt new labels over time, and that's ok too. Nobody should hound you about how sure you are. Just date who you want to date. If anyone's got a problem with it, tough shiz.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't want to come out as questioning. I think that will make people think I'm just a confused straight girl. I used to come out as bisexual just to avoid coming out as questioning.

I also thought people would be more understanding if I turned out to be gay and was out as bi vs the other way around.

I don't do that anymore because I don't feel comfortable with that label anymore. It just feels like that label is not firm enough. A lot of people thought that I was actually straight.

I only feel safe being out in the gay straight alliance. I just came out as "not straight" without people asking questions. I don't think I can do that with other people.

I don't think I will be able to date any time soon, unless I end up liking a boy. I'm just not out enough and I'm way too why to ask a girl out.

6. Skov

This is a very frustrating question however, as we all know it is extremely common. I asked about some advice for this when I came out to my sister because she kept asking me how I knew and if I was sure. She wanted me to have like a list like "Because of x, y, and z I'm sure I'm gay." We all know that it isn't that easy though. What helped her understand the most was when I asked her, "Well how do you know you like guys." She replied, "I just know." So I said, "It's the exact same. There is no difference." I think that really helped get the point across to her.

7. Heun

I think getting this across to people is one of the most effective ways of answering such questions. If they can grasp just how matter-of-fact it is to 'just know' in regards to whatever preference you have and relate that to their own feelings, it becomes much easier to understand.

Also, and unrelated; I feel it is important to say hello to you fellow Minnesotan. :icon_bigg

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I guess coming out as questioning is easier in some circles than in others, and I can see why you would want to avoid it in your situation.

You sound pretty certain that you like girls more than guys to me, but I'm not you. Do you find it hard to say you're sure of that? If so, why? I'm just trying to get a better sense of your situation.

9. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't actually come out as questioning. I would never do that unless I'm talking to a counsellor. I just told them my story and didn't mention any specific labels.

I do know that I like girls more than guys. I still feel uncomfortable telling people that right now. I really want to have a solid label and some proof before I come out. I want to be able to be super firm. Femmes need to be firm, unlike butches. If people ask me about dating guys, I just tell them that I'm not boy crazy/have time for dating.

If it's possible I'll enter a relationship and let people gossip about it. I will confirm the relationship if people ask me. The only problem is finding someone to be in a relationship with. :frowning2:

#9 ChromeNerd, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard that femmes need to be more certain than butches, and that makes me sad. Why can't it just be enough that you like girls? :frowning2: I've also heard it can be difficult for femmes to find girlfriends, especially if they prefer other femmes, which makes me sadder.

I still don't think you need to specifically label yourself to come out. It should be enough to say "I prefer girls" - that essentially says everything you know to be certain at the moment. But people like their neat little boxes and labels and their lists of reasons why, and it's all very intimidating. I stopped coming out because all the questions I got made me wonder if I was really trans enough, now I feel like I need to prepare a conclusive and logically written essay before I can come out again. In fact, I keep trying to prepare a conclusive and logically written essay, and a list of resources, just so I can say "yes I think it's time, I think I can come out now" - but it's frustrating because why should I have to have a huge backstory? Why isn't it enough that I feel more male than female and wish to be socially and somewhat physically male to reflect that, and why is it weird if I fancy guys over girls if I can prove that my inner sense of self is what I say it is? We shouldn't need to validate our existances to the "normal" (read: more socially accepted) people, just because they don't "get it" because we're not the first thing they picture when they hear words like "lesbian" or "transsexual".

So the question is, who do we need to be super firm for? I think it's for ourselves, personally. Some people will question you no matter how firm you are, but I still hesitate to come out until I'm sure I'm sure, because I need to be ready to face their confusion like a wisened old scholar that's meditated on the peak of a mountain or something. The longer I try to reach that point though the less I care. I want to be out now, It should be enough that I exist, I shouldn't need to explain why or how, I just am.

And...I'm rambling. So I'll cut myself off right there. Your thoughts?

11. sysreq

Couldn't have said it better m'self!

12. Aldrick

Well you have two options. You can be honest about how you feel right now, or you can wait until you've figured things out. My advice is to stop seeking a label for yourself.

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know, since we've never had this conversation before that I'm attracted to girls."

"Wait. So you're a lesbian?"

"No, I'm choosing not to label myself, I may have a tiny bit of attraction to guys, but mostly I'm attracted to females."

"So... you're bisexual?"

"No, like I said, I'm choosing not to label myself. I'm just going to go and live my life, and date whomever I feel is attractive."

"Are you sure? You sound confused to me."

"Yes, I'm sure, and I am NOT confused. I am mostly attracted to other women. If and when I choose a label for myself, I'll let you know."

Further questions might be along the lines of:

"How do you know?"

"Easy. You know that feeling you get when someone takes your breath away, those butterflies in the stomach, and the inability to stop thinking about someone - all the usual stuff that happens when you're romantically attracted to someone? Well, I feel that toward women."

"How can you be certain?"

"The same way you're certain that you're straight. How can you be certain about that?"

"Have you... ever, you know, been with another woman?"

"That's none of your business."

Etc. Etc. Etc.

In other words, answer honestly. Sexuality can be complicated sometimes, and it isn't always black and white. You don't need labels unless you want one. You can't stop other people from labeling you. However, that's no different than someone who is bisexual being labeled "gay" when they're in a relationship with someone of the same gender. So, sadly, whether or not you end up deciding you want to be labeled a lesbian or something else - if you're in a relationship with a woman other people are going to tag you as a lesbian regardless.

In the end, labels don't matter. You're not coming out for the right to wear a certain label, you're coming out to live your life openly.

13. agelos

Out Status:
    Some people
    is there a chance you're just attracted to masculinity/femmininity ?
    sometimes gender doesn't really matter.

14. sysreq

Precisely.

15. wanderinggirl

Here's what I would say:
    them: "are you sure? you always seemed straight"
    me: "no i'm not sure but i wasn't sure if i was straight either"
    me: "and anyways JUST SUPPORT ME DON'T QUESTION TEH GAY OKAY"

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aldrick is perfection and his advice is sound.

17. sysreq