1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missed a great chance to come out, and it's almost holidays

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wandergirl, Dec 6, 2013.

1. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I started questioning myself about a year and a half ago and since the beginning of this year i have come out to only five people.
    the problem is that none of these friends live in my town so i never had the chance to go out in a gay scene and be with a girl, so i think that's pushing me back on coming out.

When talking to a very good friend last week she said i should find a boyfriend and enjoy life a bit. what i answered was: oh i prefer to be alone than all the trouble i had some time ago with guys. but damn! what a big chance i missed to say: actually i like girls. :bang:

She's a very good friend to me and very open minded, though she's about my mom's age (i'm 22). i'll probably meet her once more this year before we both travel (to different places) to enjoy the summer break. Do you guys think i should tell her now or wait? i'll probably see her again only in february. I think it could be nice if i could count on her about it through emails during holidays, specially if i eventually find someone on the road... :slight_smile:

2. Wat

Wat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go on and do it! If you do it now, not only will you have someone to talk about it with during the holidays, but you also have the buffer of a couple months before you see her again if she gets a bit weirded out. Plus, if you wait until February to tell her, you'll have to sit on this for a couple months and it will eat at you from the inside.

It definitely seems like a better option for you to go ahead and get it out of the way now. Best of luck!

3. william123

Let me just say, when I was still "in" I can't tell you how many missed opportunities I had to come out and just spit it out and say how I was. I still kinda hide it, I'm not very open. So don't feel alone. I'm sure it takes quite a lot of time and practice (unfortunately) before it just rolls off the tip of your tongue. So don't feel discouraged. :grin:. And I agree with Wat that it's a good idea to try to let it out sooner rather than later, if you feel this is a good person to talk to.

4. elwood123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just do it, it will bother you while you are travelling so just say it now! And she'll have her travels to think about it then when you meet again you can be relaxed and discuss it some more maybe

5. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you all guys for the advice, but unfortunately i didn't have a chance to meet her before traveling. So i guess I'll find a way to do it in February when we are back