1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay at 23

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by william123, Dec 6, 2013.

1. william123

So basically I realized I was gay (and subsequently went into many years of denial) at the age of 23, which I understand is relatively late in life. My friend even went so far as to tell me that most people "find out" they're gay when they are in their teens. I am 29 now, almost 30, and I haven't made too much progress. Yes I posted a message on a well-known social networking site saying I was gay and got quite a lot of responses to it, so in that sense I feel like the burden of having a secret has been lifted somewhat. So I do feel more comfortable and free than when it was a total secret, where I was paralyzed and could hardly even conduct a conversation with anyone. But I still have so, so far to go. Like I haven't actually even begun to flirt with men. I don't know how to approach them, and I don't know what I want sexually. There is one friend I have who is actually a really really close friend that I've known since I was 2 years old who has gone through some similar challenges as me (not gay challenges, but other kinds) who I could kind of see myself settling down with. He's my age. But I don't know what I would do with him sexually, or what I even want in that regard.

I guess I am afraid of being rejected. I just don't know how to approach men, or how to find out if they're gay. To me everyone seems straight, except for some people who are obviously gay and kind of look and act that way, with all due respect. I haven't even convinced myself that I am truly gay to be honest. Like maybe it's all just a big mistake. I am just really really torn. I hope someone out there can appreciate this. I think people who come to terms with these kinds of things later in life as I have have special challenges they have to deal with.

2. ninerw

23...try 25. I am right there with you. I think your friend is correct in some ways. Looking back at my life I can see those moments where I thought about my orientation in high school. But coming out is ageless.

As for approaching men. I am just as awkward and ignorant as you. I went to my first gay bar the other night and it was hilarious how I just gushed at it. It was an experience. But that's what I think was so great about it...I was experiencing the world in front of me. Fear is fear. Just don't worry about, get to know people and who knows, things could change!

And the friend...if you don't know if he's gay I would go slow. Let him know you are and see how he responds. If things go further, awesome!

3. william123

Great advice - thanks! I'm glad someone at least is in the same or similar boat as I am. I don't think I'm quite ready for the gay bar experience... but I think I will slowly work my way up to it. I am just confronting my fear right now. And I think seeking out support will be key. Like in this forum. Bleh.

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the same situation. I knew I was bi around 15 but it was only this year that I finally accepted it--actually three months ago today was when I told my parents and sister.

I feel like I'm now starting to go through all the crazy crushing and angst and wanting to explore that I missed out on when I was in my late teens. And I'm pretty socially awkward and anxious so figuring out what to do about that is tough.

Sorry I don't have any actual advice to give you other than to tell you that you're not alone! I'm always up for a chat if you want.

5. william123

Thanks. I can't chat yet (don't have privileges) but maybe I will see you in there at some point. You put it perfectly... wanting to explore and finally break free of the social angst that has crippled us (or at least myself). For literally the past 6 years I have been too scared to actually attempt any kind of relationship with the same sex. The thought still kind of terrifies me but I know in order to be true to myself I have to. It's the only way I'll achieve happiness. Hmm.

6. Pete1970

Ninerw

Did you go to the gay bar by yourself? I ask because I was thinking of going to one to get my feet wet so to speak but don't really want to go by myself. Was it weird if you did go by yourself?

7. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    William123, you are SO not alone. If you are not attracted to flamboyant very-much-out people, everyone you look at will make you wonder "Is he gay?" with no obvious way to find out unless you are obviously out yourself and attract their attention to you and they act on it. If you go to a "gay" bar, you can make the assumption that most of the men there are gay or bi, so it increases your hunting prospects by a lot if not 100%. But, you are more likely to find people looking for a hookup there than a long-term relationship, which sounds more like what you are looking for. When you do find the right person, you will probably ease into some kind of sexual activity you both enjoy, but some people are more interested in mutual support, cuddling, having someone to share their life with rather than constant sex. Good luck in finding the person who is right for you.

8. william123

Hmm, thank you Yossarian, that is very interesting. I like the idea of getting together as a couple and just easing into everything else. Like I said, my one friend who is pretty much my main male friend would be a good match for me. I am just so scared of trying out a relationship. But hopefully with enough support I will get there. Living scared all the time is not good for me.

9. Wat

Wat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're definitely not alone. As someone who has had to deal with sexuality on his own while going to a Catholic school, I can definitely say that I know difficult it is trying to figure out how to connect with other guys and try to find someone. I don't really have any advice to offer you, as I'm also just now forging my own path into relationship-y sorts of things on top of being shy and reserved, but I can definitely offer my empathy.

10. william123

I'm just starting to look at men now and say "hey, that's sexy!". It feels good. I need to come to terms with this, because it's been such a dark secret of mine for so long.

I just wanna feel free and liberated again. So many things went wrong when I tried to fight it, and I was fighting it for years. I still am! I need to get past this.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that you're ok with this is a huge step already, and you shouldn't overlook that. The rest will follow in time.

12. william123

Thanks biwinning. I am just gonna try to come to terms with it.

13. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you thought of meeting more gay people of your age in a 'non-sexual' environment.

Just peers who happen to be gay. That is a great way to obtain a social circle and break in to your new life.

I am thinking LGBT groups, walking groups, you know that sort of thing.

It avoids all the mess of one-nighters in the sexual atmosphere of clubs and all that scene.

Good luck ! You are not aloooone !!

14. william123

I definitely agree that a setting that didn't have all that sexual pressure would be good and useful for me. I will try to search for that.

Honestly a lot of the work I have to put in for me though is self-work. I have to become more accepting, and stop falling back on the negative stereotypes that I have conjured up in my head about what it means to be gay.

But I'll definitely look for those groups. That could be really really useful. Thanks!

15. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm in the same situation as you 29 and realised I was gay in August. Just letting you know you're not alone. I've spent the last few months basically eyeing up men I find hot and trying to explore this suppressed side of myself. I have a lot of insecurities but I've had a few positive experiences and life just became a lot more interesting. This is so new to me the men I find attractive seems to fluctuate daily :wink: best place so far has been the gym which seems to be full of attractive gay or very metrosexual guys. I met a load of men on dating apps the first month or two but I'm now playing a waiting game until I feel a bit more comfortable. Ideally I'd like to approach someone at the gym, sometimes I subtly check someone out and they look back in a good way but I've no idea how to take it further than that. I'll have to think of a few opening gambits I can use that are non sexual but will open up a bit of conversation.

16. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The gym is a good place to meet people, but not always the greatest place to have a conversation, with so many people having music player earpieces jammed into their ears, and people sometimes pushed to finish their workout routines. When you have met a likely prospect, try to engage them in conversation to get to know them better; it usually doesn't take a lot more than a few simple questions to determine if they are married or have a girl friend. When you find someone you are attracted to who is single, try to invite them out for a smoothie or coffee or a beer or meal, to see how the act out of the gym setting. I meet most of my friends either at the gym or on group bike rides, so you are on the right track, I think.

17. ninerw

I went through Meetup to find a group that fit my personality and wants. So far I have only been to one event, but I met so many people there that I have already begun hanging out with them. I was super nervous, but in the end had nothing to worry about. About the eyeing guys thing...we are in the same boat. I am just now getting comfortable with looking at guys and openly expressing my attraction to them in front of friends. It's weird at first, but not once does it feel wrong.

No one here is rushing you to do anything you don't want to do. Enjoy life.

18. william123

Thanks guys. ninerw I appreciate what you said about not being rushed.

Actually some of the most painful experiences in my memory have been from people trying to out me. So I definitely don't wanna feel that pain again by doing something I'm not ready for.

But yeah, thanks. I will try to do this in my own time as I feel more comfortable. I actually just spent some time today with a guy I am kind of attracted to. He seems like he might be gay or gay-friendly. But I don't know if it will go anywhere. It just felt safe/comfortable.

The gym is an interesting idea. I never quite considered that. I am not really a gym goer and right now I don't even have the money to sign up for it so I can't really do that option. Maybe when I become employed.

lookingforsome that's good to hear that you are out and getting to know yourself better. That is the name of the game. It's all I really hope for for myself. The more you learn about yourself, the freer you become! At least that's what I've found!

Cheers.

19. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes that is true. It really is a very fundamental shift in personality however. I am having to revaluate pretty much all my life decisions including my career and my life expectations, it is a daunting prospect. I really don't know who I am I feel my whole life has been a bit of a charade. When I was 18 or so I was much more outgoing and didn't mind expressing my differences and I often wondered if I was gay back then. I always thought I would make a good gay boy :slight_smile:

But over the last 10 years or so I've definitely slowly been worn down and become quite conformist. I've basically suppressed who I am so that I don't even know anymore. I couldn't really understand why I didn't have a girlfriend or really find anyone I was attracted to.

My self esteem suffered and I became quite passive in the choices I made in life as a result I feel I am in a good job but I feel I have much more potential. It is an enormous challenge to overcome this but I guess we live and learn.

I would really recommend the gym by the way try and scrape together the money somehow and go. Look around you might find a cheap one. , here is an article to inspire you :slight_smile:
    The Iron by Henry Rollins | Oldtime Strongman

20. william123

Interesting read. I used to take karate (I took it for 10 years) so I know the feeling of feeling strong and acting strong as a result.

I was actually thinking of getting into muay thai (which is thai kick-boxing) at some point. It requires discipline and strength and courage, and will whip you into shape (which is what I sorely need). I guess my proclivity to martial arts has got me favouring muay thai over going to the gym. I think you can get equally beneficial results from either though.

I'm sorry to hear that you have become less free in your actions over the years. I am in the exact same boat. I don't joke around, I don't laugh as liberally... this thing, this fear has consumed me. I only hope that I can get some of it back.

I have also been contemplating a bit... I think that being openly gay somehow changes you. Like it makes you fit in with a different sort of social circle. I was outside having a smoke (bad habit, I know - I gotta quit) with some straight people and I just realized I didn't have too much to talk about. Maybe it's better that I socialize with my own kind for a bit? I dunno, maybe I'm just not comfortable being openly gay around straight people yet. I dunno. Any advice on this would be great! Thanks for the post!