1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to but not sure if I should

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ConfusedLuna, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ConfusedLuna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So after years of pondering I have come to realize and accept that I am not straight. Though I'm not sure what to do now I was thinking of coming out to my family and friends. But I'm not sure if I should so soon after realizing this and I'm also a little scared. I know that my friends will keep an open mind but my parents are a different story. I have no clue how they would react. My father always tells me to find a good career and start a family but its been different lately. He now says that if I can't then I should find a man and give him grandchildren. But if I come out to him what would he say. I'm afraid it would ruin him or have him disappointed in me. I just want my family to be happy but I don't know what will make them happy. If you have any advice please help.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do what makes YOU happy. They will do what makes THEM happy, but you can't control that, and are not responsible for their happiness.

3. elwood123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Come out to a few friends first so you have someone to support you before you tell them and then again after. If you can then talk to a LGBT teacher or adult (if your still at school) or any LGBT person you know because it is the best thing seriously!

4. Foster

I think when you're ready you'll know. It takes time to feel comfortable enough with yourself to tell other people you're gay/lesbian/bisexual. I think you really have to love yourself first, and not care what anyone will say. I'd definitely agree with elwood123, try and come out to someone you pretty much know will support you first. Maybe a close friend. It helps if they have liberal views and are supportive of things like gay marriage (its a pretty easy thing to find out if you start a conversation about it). Personally I came out to my sister, because I knew she was a supporter of gay rights and had a positive attitude towards it. I think trust is also a huge thing. I trusted her enough to tell her my deepest darkest secret. I think the best person to tell first is someone who you have a very close relationship with :slight_smile:

And although it may take your parents time to get used to the idea that you're gay, I'm sure they will love you just the same. After all, you're their daughter no matter what.