1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career Resources

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Defraction, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Defraction

So... I have no real idea what I want to do with the rest of my life. I've chosen 4 A levels for college but one of them (ICT) I really don't want to do. I want to change it, but I don't know what to, mostly because I don't know what I want to do as a career.

I've half decided I wanted to teach English as a foreign language, preferrably in a foreign country (Japan :grin:) because I want to live there hopefully, and I can sorta see myself doing that...

But I want a plan B, C, and so on, in case that during my first year I'll decide to take other A levels and completely change my career idea.

So it would be absolutely amazing if anybody can give information/websites specifically for TESOL (IT HAS A NAME!!!) and anything to do with being completely confused and intimidated.

Sorry if this post is written strangely, I can't be bothered proofreading it. xD

Thankies!

2. MeskElil

Well, I can't give you webistes...but I can help with being confused.

It's okay to be confused about careers at this point in your life (my age). At least you're 16 and not 18, right? You have a while to think of what you want to do, but it seems you've already chosen it. Fight for it, man! If you want to teach English as a 2nd language, try your hardest to get it.
    You mentioned plans B and C. Well, only you can think of what else you would want to do. Maybe teach just plain English or Composition classes here? (That would be in case of being unable to go to Japan or elsewhere.) Or maybe you could teach Japanese as another language (it sounds like you might know that language, otherwise you wouldn't want to go there). Really, only you can decide what else you might want to do. Go for your interests and your passions. Try your hardest, keep your grades up, and all those other trite platitudes that teachers tell us while we're growing up.
    You're going to be fine. Just fight for what you want and be strong! *enters football coach mentality* YOU WANNA WIN??? I SAID, DO YOU WANNA WIN????? THEN LET'S GO OUT AND GET THEM! COLLEGE STUDENTS ON 3----1, 2, 3 - COLLEGE STUDENTS!!!!!!!!

Well, you get my message. I'm sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for at all, but it was the best I could come up with...I hope it helped you.
    Go, Fight, Win! *echo* Go, Fight, Win!

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The number of people who plan their careers at age 16 (or 18, or 20), and manage to stick with that plan all the way through, is shrinking like crazy. This is mainly because people are a bit freer to do what they want. Fifty years ago, you got a job at the bottom rung, you stayed with the company all your life, and you got a gold watch at the end. Now? Not so much. People are not only swapping jobs, but careers. And it's a lot easier than you might think.

I studied to be a high school math teacher. I'm in the entertainment business.
    Friend A studied to go into biology research. He now edits a major magazine, and appears on TV regularly.
    Friend B studied advanced math concepts. He builds computer networks.
    Friend C majored in sociology. He writes music for TV shows.
    C's parents are even stranger. His father was an avant-garde musician who gave it up to become a math teacher. His mother was a concert pianist and part-time actress who gave it up to become a district judge.

The point is this. Don't feel you have to have you future mapped out. Things will happen, opportunities will come along, and most likely, you'll end up doing something you never thought you'd be doing. And probably be enjoying it a lot. Yes, have a goal. Yes, work towards it. But don't worry if you end up off course. You may just be on a new course. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Don't feel that you have to decide now what your career should be. You've indicated that your are interested in teaching English as a foreign language. Take this as your starting point. As you take courses you will see whether you like it or not. As you go through college/university you develop interests which you may decide to pursue down the road. If you change after a year or so that just means that you have found something that interests you even more.

When I started university, I wasn't sure what kind of a career I wanted or what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. As I went through university taking different courses in various fields of studies I developed different interests. Today I am doing something that I wouldn't have thought of when I started university.

Go with whatever interests you! Once you are in college you can also talk to a career counselor at your school. They can also help you with becoming clearer about the kind of career that you would like to have.

I hope this helps!