1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about it..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jordz, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Jordz

Today i've been thinking about coming out to my dad, I think I might do it in a little bit if I don't bottle it. I just keep thinking about it now, any advice? :confused:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Thinking about coming out, and starting to think about a good time, is already a good start.

Any ideas about how he might react or what he might say? How do you feel generally about coming out to him?

3. Jordz

I'm not too sure really, sometimes he will make comments but nothing too bad I think. My mum said that he has made 1 or 2 comments saying he thinks I could be gay. I think I'm ready and comfortable in myself now but just nervous I guess.

4. Silver Sparrow

Have you thought about giving him a letter? That way, you don't have to see his initial reaction, if you are worried about that. Good luck!

5. Data

Data Guest

If they were good comments, then he might be internally braced already.

If they are bad, then you might expect a bad reaction. Bad reactions can range from "you're just confused and going through a phase" to "I won't have a gay child. Get out."

It's good to hear you are comfortable with yourself and your orientation. That is crucial in coming out.

You could write a letter like Silver Sparrow suggested. That's an easy way to do it when you can't find the strength to actually say the words. If you are able, perhaps you can write the letter but hand it to him in person. I think seeing a person's initial reaction is important because you can tell how hard it hit them or what they are truly feeling. You can see exactly what it has done inside their mind. If you give them time to read the letter and then wait to face you, those initial reactions will have completed and you might get a different reaction once the person has time to digest the info.

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sit down and talk to him and tell him what you are feeling, that you are not attracted to girls and never have been, but you are attracted to boys feel natural and comfortable around them, and ask him what these feelings mean. Let him tell you that you may be gay, instead of the other way around. Or he may tell you its just a phase or some of the other garbage that parents come up with when they are trying to deny reality. The point is, you don't have to hit him with the "G" label all at once; you can creep your way up to it, and by then he will have accepted the possibility, and thought about what he wants to say to you about it. If his reaction is too hostile then you can still back away from the issue for the time being, until you are able to come out on your own terms.

7. Jordz

I'm not really one for writing letters and saying about my feelings. Especially to him, that would just be too strange and awkward for me.

What I've thought about is just saying to him I need to tell him something then just say "i'm gay" that way it is straight to the point :confused:

8. Tracks

Good luck. I know its a subject I could never bring up to my family.