1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Salazar, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Salazar

Well, to cut a long story short, I first came out in January and since then I came out to all my friends, my immediate family and one of my cousins. Only one guy at work knows, and I told him when we'd been drinking, so I'm not sure if he remembers.

When I came out I decided to change my interested in thing on Facebook from the lie that was women to nothing. I think I might be ready to change it to 'men'. I know it doesn't really matter, but I guess I'm a bit apprehensive because I have my cousins and a few guys from work on Facebook. I also have my dad, whom I see once a year and is barely a father to me, so I shouldn't really care.

Any thoughts?

2. gaywill13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your happy and out then do it. There's no point hiding yourself from people who already know.

3. Silver Sparrow

You can also, if I remember correctly, set different privacy settings on your Interested in. So you could leave off people from work, but it could be visible to everyone else.

4. william123

I find just leaving it blank to be good for me. It's not that I'm hiding my orientation, it's just that I really value my privacy on that thing called Facebook. To each their own!

5. Wat

Wat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say if you really want to do it, go for it. I don't think a single person noticed when I did, so honestly, people probably wouldn't even know you switched it. It's actually sort of underwhelming how little effect it has.

6. yidnah87

Here's what I did before more fully coming out: Create a new group of friends. Include all the friends that you're ok with seeing the Interested In feature. When you go to the II feature, make it visible to this group only.

And then, maybe down the road, you'll be comfortable being 'out' to those who you left out of the group. At that point, you can get rid of that group and just make the II feature visible to all friends. :slight_smile:

7. phoebe

well it depends on if you are comfortable with it! you can adjust your privacy settings if you want to

8. Salazar

Done. Put my manager and family under restricted, but I'll remove them with time. No one has said anything in two days haha

9. DesertTortoise

I changed my preference to 'Men' a couple months before I came out. Nobody noticed. And I have almost 1200 FB friends.