1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not okay with being perceived as gay??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Augie14, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Augie14

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey everyone,
    While I have known I was bisexual for several years, only within the past few months have I consciously acknowledged it / accepted it, before that I thought that I could just ignore it and date only guys...Once I had the freedom of self acceptance, I guess I was more open with how I would act, because I am fairly sure some of my friends figured out that I wasn't totally straight, and when they would make side comments alluding to such, I wouldn't deny it, so with some of them it hasn't been explicitly said but I'm fairly sure they know. Other than that I have had specific conversations with 3 friends about it and am out to them. So the list is small but growing. I would like to be more out w my friends, but haven't said anything to the ones who don't know yet, and I think it's because I don't want to be perceived as gay? I don't really know why I feel this way, but I think part of it is that many people stil see being bisexual as a 'coverup' for being gay, even tho that's not the case w me. I also went to catholic school for most of my life, and while I am not practicing now I feel like it created some internal, self homophobia for me, even tho I am totally accepting/pro lgbt rights, my roommate is a gay guy etc...has anyone else experienced something similar? I recently starting seeing a girl as well, and she is amazing, and I want to be open about our relationship should it continue/get more serious (which I think it probably will), but obviously my issues w being perceived as gay could cause problems..any advice for continuing my coming out process so to speak would be appreciated.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds just like me. For a long time, when I was wrestling with my sexual orientation, I was convinced that everyone was going to hate me for being LGBT and that they wouldn't see me for any of my qualities other than my sexual orientation. I was deathly afraid of people thinking that I wasn't straight.

As part of my self-acceptance process, I realized just how much internalized homophobia I'd built up over the years, and how much of it was baseless. Even just coming out to a couple people makes me feel more comfortable being myself around people I'm not out to. If they do think I'm gay/bi, so what? They're still my friends even though they might suspect.

As for right now, I'm not dating anyone so there's no need to announce my sexual orientation to the world, and I can tell whoever I want whenever I want on my terms. Obviously if I start dating a guy people are going to have to know.

I don't really have a whole lot of advice to give you, but I hope that hearing my story has helped you realize you're not the only one who's struggled with this.