1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confidence Roller Coaster

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AsdfgAngst, Dec 9, 2013.

1. AsdfgAngst

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had this feeling while coming out/is feeling this way now.
    Basically, my self-confidence and my confidence in my ability to come out to people changes pretty drastically from day to day, and my entire happiness level changes with it. Some mornings I'll wake up and think, "yes! The next time I see my parents I'm going to come out, and I'm going to tell all my friends and I'm gonna be loud and super gay and super confident!" But then a day or two will pass and I'll completely forget that feeling, I'll be more like, "well, maybe I should just not come out, dating no one, or even being stuck with a straight guy probably wouldn't be unbearable, and it's probably better than having to deal with trying to come out to people." And I'll just feel terrible and like I'll never be able to act, and that will last a few days.
    The only times I've actually been able to tell someone "I like girls!" I've been drunk, and I feel like I just don't have the confidence sober, and that something will go horribly wrong if I do come out, even though I know for a fact that the friends that I value will support me.
    Any advice would be awesome. :icon_bigg

2. PurpleGrey

Ah, I know the feeling. Before I was out, it would feel so easy sometimes, but when it would feel like the right time to come out, I would get too nervous and worry about how everyone would react. I think family is the hardest to come out to.

3. Augie14

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Totally experience this as well. After I first told someone, I had a severe case of vulnerability hangover, but it lessened day by day and my friendship w said person wasn't any different. I know not all responses I get will likely be as positive. All I can really say now is I know where you're coming from and hope everything goes well for you

4. Envira

I feel this way all the time! And it's really frustrating too. I managed to come out to four friends, but I've had three other friends that I've been wanting to come out to for about a year now. My confidence changes by the minute. And I've gotten soooo close, but I've never quite done it. You should do it when you feel ready. And force yourself. Yell it to get the words out of your mouth if you have to. But do it when you're ready.