1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now, or later?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Redd, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Redd

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, a little background, my parents a divorced and I go back and forth between houses everyday (which is comeletely crazy but oh well), and on every other day I see my step sibling. I am out to my step sister, and she's ok with everything. One of my step brothers is very much a redneck, and makes racist/homophobic comments all the time. The third step sibling is 12, and looks up a lot to his older brother and myself. The older brother (both are younger than I am), was having some trouble and is now at military school, so his influence has lessened, at least during the school year.

So the problem I'm facing now is whether or not I should tell the younger brother. I think that maybe if I do, it'll give him an example of a part of the LGBT community, and he might get that it's ok. I don't think he's ever really been exposed to it other than listening to my other brother, and I know he's picked up on saying "that's so gay" and "that's disgusting" when he hears people say anything about a gay person. I asked why he thought it was disgusting one time and he shrugged and said "I don't know, it just is" and then sort of blew me off when I said otherwise. So, there's the pros of telling him, but on the flip side, he can't keep a secret and I don't want to risk my dad knowing until I'm out of the house, and I also don't want him to just reject me completely, which I feel like he might if the only other things he's ever heard about LGBT stuff are negative.

Thoughts?

2. Envira

Well, I think at this point you need to compare your want to come out to what might happen. What are the chances that he'll tell your dad? And what are the chances that he'll reject you? Consider the positive too.

Think about how long you have to wait until you're out of the house. Have you come out to any friends. You might be able to arrange something with them so you can stay with them if you're rejected or there's an issue. That's a possibility too.