1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding support groups

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Emberstone, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Emberstone

Well, I have been in the process of coming out for year, though I only truly started telling people recently, and I was wondering if anyone know of any organization that host support groups for people who are coming out. The website here has been a great deal of help, and it still is, but somtimes, it feels like speaking with someone face to face is almost more meaninful then simply talking to people online, where you are hidden by a veil of secracy afforded by the internet.

I have looked into the gay scene in my area, and found mainly social groups, which really didnt intrigue me mainly because they were hobbies groups, like hiking clubs and sports clubs, which neither interest me. There also were support groups, but those were all for 18 year olds and below, so I am ineligable for them. It seems that I, in my area atleast, are in a awkward age group, as the groups that I was able to find were either for minors, or for more mature people in the late 40's plus.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any organizations that host support groups for people coming out that might have regional groups that I can check to see if there are any in my areas.

I am not looking for socialization so much, which all the groups in my area *other then the one for under 18's* basically are. I will continue to visit and use Emptyclosets of course, but I still want to take the steps towards finding others who are going through what I am in person, or have gone through it already. My experinces so far have proven to me that it certianly is easier to talk about your sexuality in a chatroom or web forum then it is in person, but I still feel like part of coming out completely is being more comfortable coming out in person, and I feel like a support group might be helpful for me, because it would be a enviorment in which there wouldnt be judgement as one would expect outside the GLBT community.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to EC!

Try to see if your area has a PFLAG chapter or something similar to it. They will often have support group meetings and you might also find a few people that are in your age group there. You could also contact some of the support groups that are for younger/older people and just ask them if they could provide you some information on other support groups.

I hope this helps!

3. Louise

Yep, that is what I was going to say. If you need help finding a Pflag chapter (although the information is on interent) PM Becky, I am sure she would be pleased to help you.