1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on christmas???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by zynak88, Dec 11, 2013.

1. zynak88

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Want to get all of your guys opinions on this. I've been questioning my sexual identity for a few years now (pretty much since I began high school), and have recently committed 100% to my identity as a trans-woman (trans-girl? IDK :confused:). However, I haven't come out to anyone (of course except you guys), and fear that I haven't given anyone any clues to what I might be feeling. But, all doubts aside, I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to come out on christmas.

A little background: I come from a christian family, but my grandparents are the only ones who actively participate with the church (I myself am atheist. How I came out from that closet is a story for a different day however). So, we always have a big get together at my home on christmas. It would be my parents, grandparents, great-grandmother, aunt and uncle, younger cousin, and three brothers all together. I don't think anyone would react too badly, aside from the initial shock and jokes. Not to mention the questions...:icon_redf

But, any input would help me tons. Especially if you have any ideas about ways that might help take the seriousness off. Don't want to be a nervous wreck all Christmas.

TL;DR version: :help::help::help:!!!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Write it on a bit of cardboard, wrap it up and present it. Might take the edge off a bit...

3. UIOP

Personally, I would like to tell you to do what feels right and whatever happens is meant to be. That's my attitude and I am happy for you to come out of the closet.

However, I also just want to say be careful. I don't know what it's like for your family but, for mine, everyone's all hyped up and our emotions are running strong. So, if you do decide to come out over Christmas, please be careful to pick a good time to do it. Other than that word of caution, very good luck and I wish you all the best (and a merry Christmas!) :slight_smile:

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember meeting one mom whose son came out at 13 on Christmas. He was at grandma's house and said he had a big announcement and told the whole family right there in a cheery way, "I'm gay!"

5. tatamg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you think your family will be fine with it, I say go ahead!
    However, I would definitely recommend coming out to one or two members of your family beforehand, whoever you're closest to that you know will have a positive reaction. Coming out is really hard, and knowing someone in the room already accepts and supports you helps a lot.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes! :slight_smile:

6. sammy1

My thoughts on coming out on Christmas is DO NOT DO THAT PLEASE! Not on a holiday because it just puts the spot light on u and it may cause arguments and there may be tears and to me that isn't fun for anyone so I suggest u do it on a regular day.