1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out as trans to my extended family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theskywreck, Dec 11, 2013.

1. theskywreck

I am going to visit my aunt and her family and my grandparents for the holidays. My immediate family is aware that I am transgender, but none of my extended family knows. They are all religious people, but not over-the-top-extreme religious, and I fear that my grandparents especially will not approve.

I know that sooner or later, they will have to know, but to be honest, I'm deathly afraid. Is the holiday season a good time for this? Should I wait until another time? Thank you! :icon_wink

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends how you want to look at it...

I mean on the one hand, they are gathered together and can support each other through any shock.
    On the other, they are gathered together to egg each other on if they don't like it.

Personally I wouldn't unless I was wanting to dress while I was visiting them, but that's up to you!

3. CupcakeKisses

I was going to say go for it especially if you have the support of your immediate family but then I thought about it and maybe the holiday season isn't such a good idea. If you see them on a regular basis, do it right after the holidays are over if you're ready.

4. VioletXena

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The holiday season can be a really stressful time for pretty much everyone. I personally wouldn't recommend coming out at this time, especially because you're afraid to. It sounds to me like you're not ready to come out to your extended family yet. If your parents are supportive, I would suggest talking to them about it before you see your extended family. You can ask them not to mention it, or if you decide to come out, you can ask them to back you up by saying certain things. If there's anything else you want them to do (interrupt anti-queer jokes, keep someone away from you), ask for that too. Good luck!