1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Come Out to Friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mrcake, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Mrcake

I know this is another how to post...but bare with me. I will be coming home for christmas for almost a month and I will be seeing my best friend a lot - we hang out all the time and he is straight and doesn't know that I'm gay. Here's the thing though, I want to tell him, but I don't know how to tell him. I don't want to simply be like, you know... I'm gay, and I have been meaning to tell you this. I want it to be subtle or I want it to be outright. I'm tired of him being like oh look at this chick and everything like that. If anyone else has a friend story, please tell me how you came out to them, thanks.

2. Nick07

Perhaps when you both share stories, you can say that you met someone and then during the talk just say And HE... It would give your friend a hint without you saying "I am gay".

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe while you are home, you could ask him to go out for an evening of entertainment with your friends that you are out to, so he can see that you are comfortable being out with them and how they are comfortable with your being gay as examples. It might not even come up as a topic or question in such a setting, but if it does, you have your other friends there for emotional support. If they are gay, you might throw in a little hug when you meet them, to set the stage.

4. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I tell people I usually try to slide it in to the conversation, but since he is your best-friend I would try to have a sit down conversation with him. I would ask you you two could talk and just tell him. If he is truly your best friend he should love you just the same. There might be some questions, because he will need to understand. Questions are not a bad thing if done politely.

5. lafemmenoir

I haven't yet been able to find the perfect words time or setting to come out. Probably because there really aren't any. When I came out to my friends it was always just really random and I just blurted it out. I was fortunate that all my friends accepted it (or at least pretended to at the time i came out to them). But I know that if they hadn't i would have been crushed because i honestly had put too much weight in my heart on the expectation of a positive outcome. my intentions for coming out were to be accepted by others but really i think it needs to be more about accepting your own self and not caring about what other people want or expect you to be. good luck