1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15 coming out to my straight love who's married

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by forbiddenlove12, Dec 12, 2013.

1. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I love this straight guy the only problem is he's married and also 57.
    Any advice?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just so I'm sure, when you say 'coming out' do you mean you're going to just tell him your gay or are you planning on professing your love for him...'cause that's not gonna go down well...

3. AnonymousForeve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He's married and it's against the law for him to have any kind of sexual relationship with you yet (if you live in the US). Don't try to go after him.

4. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I say coming out I'm mean telling him I'm gay I tried already but he didn't believe me

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're 15 and in love with a 57-year-old, that's a crime. Don't do this.

6. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know this he is as close as my dad in fact he's closer than my dad and I .
    I love him though so I don't know how he'll take the fact that am gay(and no I will not tell him I love him sexually of course)

7. Jessica79

If you want to tell him your gay thats fine and good luck xx But don't try and pursue a relationship with him because you will get him and yourself into big trouble Good Luck sweetie :slight_smile:

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi.

I think we need to clarify what you're actually feeling and what your intentions are here.

I think I hear you saying that you have a friend who is 57 and straight, that you feel a strong connection with, and whom you want to tell that you're gay. That sounds like a sensible choice, if you have a reasonable sense that he'll be comfortable with your disclosure that you're gay.

Also, at 15, it is very common, particularly if you feel some sort of lacking in your own connection to your dad, to displace those feelings onto someone else, and sometimes those feelings look and feel like "love." It can get very confusing, particularly at your age, and particularly when you feel a strong connection to him.

Being realistic, for someone who is straight, and completely putting aside the various issues with being in love and feeling sexual attraction to someone 40+ years older than you, the possibility of having a romantic relationship with someone who's straight is pretty much nonexistent. Adding in the age difference, likely you run the risk of making your friend feel very uncomfortable.

I've had numerous people that I've spoken to and offered advice to who were around your age tell me they love me, and tell me that they want me to be their boyfriend. But I have the background and training to understand what's going on here, so it isn't really upsetting to me, because I understand that it's a displacement of feelings, so I'm able to just set very clear boundaries and explain what my role is, and why it could never be anything other than supportive and therapeutic, and will never be sexual. But someone who doesn't have that background may feel very uncomfortable with that sort of disclosure.

So in short, it's understandable why you have those feelings and it's not uncommon among people your age. And your best bet is to recognize it for what it most likely is... a longing for a sense of connection, rather than a genuine romantic love interest.

Assuming you feel it would be safe to come out to him, I would tread carefully and perhaps consider telling him that you really appreciate and value your connection and friendship to him, and want to share something very personal and vulnerable with him, and then tell him you're gay. I think (at least initially) I wouldn't go into anything about your stronger feelings. And then, depending on how he takes it, you may be able to share what you're feeling, but only if you're confident that both of you can keep a solid boundary where nothing will come of it, and that you're disclosing it for the purpose of helping him understand your struggle and helping you get past it, if that makes sense.

9. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you Chip I really appreciate your advice :slight_smile:

10. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well remember when I said we were as close as father and son?
    Yeah I put my head on his shoulder (Platonicly) and he got really offended and I didn't even come out to him yet :icon_sad:

11. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I'm gonna do it today (come out to him) wish me luck!

12. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish you luck, but it sounds like he is not going to be very receptive, and there are definite legal issues with being involved sexually with a minor, which at 15 is what you are, so he might infer that you want some kind of sexual contact, not just telling him that you are gay. I hope that he treats you with sensitivity and respect as he responds to what you are telling him, but he might find what you are telling him shocking and not know exactly what to say, so don't get your hopes up too high.

13. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks I'm hoping for the best! :slight_smile:

14. sandrew255

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How did it go?

15. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation: